PCI-E mini same as MSATA?

kogi

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Hello,I want to change the GPU of my laptop.The GPU cannot be changed but I recently found a way to use an external gpu on it.This GPU in order to work requires ExpressCard or PCI-E mini.My laptop doesn't have ExpressCard so the only way to make it work is with PCI-E mini.I heard that many laptops have 2 PCI-E mini ports which of them 1 is taken by the WLAN as mine.I have one empty but it doesn't say PCI-E port It says MSATA port but the pins are looking exactly the same.Are PCI-E mini same as MSATA?If it is not will work on this MSATA port?
Some pictures of my laptop(Dell inspiron 17R 7720)
bI9zor1.jpg

ErTEylt.jpg

MasterMadBones

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
PCI-e is a standard for high-speed interaction between a motherboard and a hardware expansion such as a GPU except storage drives. SATA is exclusively for storage.

MasterMadBones

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Your WLAN card is indeed inserted into a PCI-E mini port. Unless you have a permanent wired internet connection (or no need for internet) I wouldn't recommend taking it out.

kogi

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015
Indeed I have a perament wired connection on my laptop.Now I want to ask you if the speed of Mini PCI-E is the same as PCI-E

MasterMadBones

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Mini PCI-E is -as the name suggests- a miniature version of PCI-e. The standard for interface bandwidth is the same; however, Mini PCI-E supports some extra features such as USB 2.0, which full-size PCI-E doesn't. Mini PCI-E cards can be connected to a full-size slot with an adapter that's available at certain vendors. Vice-versa this is not possible because it's commercially not feasible for hardware manufacturers. No desktop motherboard are sold with a Mini PCI-E slot and most cases just don't support the extra space required.

MasterMadBones

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
I would like to add that you better ask an expert or a hardware geek to insert your new GPU. It will probably look different from the WLAN card and power connectors could be swapped.

kogi

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

I am going to apply this http:// on my PCI-E mini port and since the speed of bandwidth is exactly the same there will not be any problem like less speed because it is PCI-E mini right?

There explains everything about power.If I have understoond right,I will just need a 220watt power supply and the GPU card thats all?