PeerBlock and Online Games?

aaf9666

Commendable
May 19, 2016
I'd like to know how to use peerblock in order to prevent ddosers, hackers and other malicious people from attacking me through online games. I've heard of an instance where someone playing GTA 5 was being targeted by someone in his server but thankfully peerblock prevented anything bad from happening.

Solution
What you heard is a bunch of nonsense, since players on online games aren't DIRECTLY connected to you. You are ONLY connected to the server you're all on. Unless the server itself it dodgy, there is no way to attack another player's machine via the server.
Peerblock blocks IP addresses that it gets from lists that you can import. If you know the IP numbers of malicious users/organisations you can trivially entirely block their access to your PC. However, a lot of these lists are subscription based (so cost actual money).
for example: https://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php
They can of course still be on a SERVER you are connected to, despite Peerblock. So you can still be playing with otherwise blocked people in online games etc, since you...

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
What you heard is a bunch of nonsense, since players on online games aren't DIRECTLY connected to you. You are ONLY connected to the server you're all on. Unless the server itself it dodgy, there is no way to attack another player's machine via the server.
Peerblock blocks IP addresses that it gets from lists that you can import. If you know the IP numbers of malicious users/organisations you can trivially entirely block their access to your PC. However, a lot of these lists are subscription based (so cost actual money).
for example: https://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php
They can of course still be on a SERVER you are connected to, despite Peerblock. So you can still be playing with otherwise blocked people in online games etc, since you are only connected to the server you are all using (which obviously won't directly connect you to the players). An analogous example is if even if you blocked my IP on Peerblock, you'll still be able to read this message because it's coming to you from Tom's server not from me directly. There is no way I can hack into your machine just by posting to Tom's and you reading my message. Online games work in the same way, except work by constantly updating player positions and actions to your PC.

Solution