Pennsylvania's Wine Dispensing Vending Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Ugh... to be nice to the next person behind me guess it will be a big idea to have some garlic or curry before going to the store to buy wines....;)

lachow

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
I don't understand why it is a problem to sell wine in grocery stores. This kiosk is basically doing the same thing, right? If you want to have the state liquor board more involved to limit underage drinking, just have things over 50 proof at a special state liquor store, or require a stricter liquor license so only specialty shops will carry them.

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
They already do have all alcohol being sold at liquor stores and bars. It's been like that for a long time now. This is just a more automated version of the state controlled liquor store in PA.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
This isn't so bad, just hope the vending machines don't give me the wrong drink like the Pepsi machine where I live. "I asked for friggen Pepsi, not Diet Dr. pepper!"

codeman03xx

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I live in PA and this sucks basically fascism at its best. Oh yeah no beer in stores but you can get smashed on wine really nice work Ed Rendell (~worst governor ever). Also what happens if someone moves air with a piece of cardboard (instead of breathing), i can see this going badly really soon, when it comes down to it human interaction is the best DUI detector.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]This will last about as long as self checkout lanes at walmart.[/citation]
Wait what? I love self-checkout lanes and they're all over around here. Granted, I don't shop at wal-mart so I wouldn't know for sure.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
hmm i don't get it my after-work is like Buy beer > get home > get drunk, Who's going to the store drunk to buy more booze?

Still the store is much better with bigger selections and sales and deals, i like my local store

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
oomis86 :

This will last about as long as self checkout lanes at walmart.

Wait what? I love self-checkout lanes and they're all over around here. Granted, I don't shop at wal-mart so I wouldn't know for sure.

Agreed, so many people avoid them, so they are always quicker...

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
They need to simply rescind the old law disallowing the purchase of spirits at grocery stores/convenience stores. I grew up in PA, and the laws are pretty annoying, liquor stores or bottle shops and bars are the only options. The problem with that is that they are not always open. They keep pretty tame hours. While there is a bit of nostalgia with regards to going to the liquor store, everything available and actually being able to shop, the convenience of being able to just pick something up on the way home trumps it by a long mile. It's really kind of antiquated, and the state could make more money than they do now if they changed the system...

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]theubersmurf[/nom]They need to simply rescind the old law disallowing the purchase of spirits at grocery stores/convenience stores. I grew up in PA, and the laws are pretty annoying, liquor stores or bottle shops and bars are the only options. The problem with that is that they are not always open. They keep pretty tame hours. While there is a bit of nostalgia with regards to going to the liquor store, everything available and actually being able to shop, the convenience of being able to just pick something up on the way home trumps it by a long mile. It's really kind of antiquated, and the state could make more money than they do now if they changed the system...[/citation]
I wish other states made it that difficult to buy alcoholic beverages. Now if only all car companies and not just Saab could require a breathalyser test before allowing entry into a vehicle this might actually keep all of the drunk morons that intentionally harm people off the road. The excuse "I'm an alcoholic, I can't help it" is not an acceptable excuse for drunk driving or showing up to work drunk. The term alcoholic means that a person is lazy. Anyone can stop drinking if they really want to.

G

i am from europe, it's ridicoulous in our point of view. we have huge wine sections specially the french ofcause and we have not more alcohol related problems then the us , probaly less. usa, land of the free?

G

@techguy378: you can require me to install a breathalyzer in my car the day you also require a reaction time test to start the car. Nothing's more annoying than being stuck behind a "safe" elderly driver who takes 2-3 SECONDS to react to the environment.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]And I thought CA was a ******** nanny state. PA ftl.[/citation]

How can you call California a nanny state? You can buy liquor at pretty much any corner/convenience store, and as long as it's open, well, 2AM is the cut-off. I miss being able to go get a pint of something at the the corner store that was walking distance from my house.

Now in Oregon, you have to go to an ACTUAL liquor store, to buy liquor. And they all close between 8-10PM. Though, you can buy beer/wine at any grocery store.

Also, California has the best liquor store in the country, BevMo! :D If you ever have the pleasure of going in to a Beverages and More, you are in for a real treat :) Arizona also has a few in the Phoenix area.

[citation][nom]knutho[/nom]i am from europe, it's ridicoulous in our point of view. we have huge wine sections specially the french ofcause and we have not more alcohol related problems then the us , probaly less. usa, land of the free?[/citation]

Couldn't agree more with you. Because of your alcohol/drug laws, people are allowed to be themselves without fear of getting in trouble for it. Land of "Big Brother" who thinks they know whats best for us, but then go home and do the very same stuff they are "protecting" us from.

USA, land of the hypocritical.

Status
Not open for further replies.