Pentax Intros 16MP Marc Newson Mirrorless Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Isn't a high ISO value a bad thing because it produces noisy images? Is there any situation where ISO 25600 can be used?

heezdeadjim

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
[citation][nom]Horhe[/nom]Isn't a high ISO value a bad thing because it produces noisy images? Is there any situation where ISO 25600 can be used?[/citation]

Well, if you need to take a photo of a rare animal or maybe someone committing a crime, you really don't want the flash to tip them off that you're there. However, the Nikon D3 and other DSLR's have larger sensors to be even less noisy at even higher ISO's (like 51200+)

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I bought a Pentax camera of adventure WSG-1 over the holidays. It was supposed to be shockproof. The LCD broke when I put the camera in my pocket. Because I had already left the USA, I ended up just throwing the camera in the trash (250 bucks down the drain). Do not buy a Pentax product and do not believe any of their claims. They make the LCD screens out of the cheapest junk they can find and lenses are mediocre at best. I have taken better pictures with a 50 dollar Kodak.

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I bought a Pentax camera of adventure WSG-1 over the holidays. It was supposed to be shockproof. The LCD broke when I put the camera in my pocket. Because I had already left the USA, I ended up just throwing the camera in the trash (250 bucks down the drain). Do not buy a Pentax product and do not believe any of their claims. They make the LCD screens out of the cheapest junk they can find and lenses are mediocre at best. I have taken better pictures with a 50 dollar Kodak.[/citation]

That sucks for you, but I have to personally put in good word for them. I owned a Pentax Optio W 30, and now have a W90 (got that many years later). The W30 and W90 are both shock proof and water proof, and both cameras have lived up to what they claim. I take my W90 cliff jumping (40-60 foot cliffs) while leaving it on record, then swim around under water with it after I hit. It takes a pretty hard hit when it hits the water sometimes, and I've dropped it, without problems. It's currently on the bottom of my backpack, and that gets tossed around plenty, and it's still fine. So yeah, sucks that your camera broke, but mine has been very durable.

As for the current camera, too expensive for my tastes ($300 is about as high as I go with a camera), but I'm sure it's nice for those who do more professional photography.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
so... is this a dslr?
if not is it as good as a slr?
because i know i can get one for about the same price as this

and are you paying for a name with this?

heezdeadjim

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]so... is this a dslr?if not is it as good as a slr? because i know i can get one for about the same price as thisand are you paying for a name with this?[/citation]

This probably isn't for you alidan. While this isn't a DSLR (they have mirrors), it will accept the K-mount lenses. For those not in the know, the K-mount lenses are herald as some of the best lenses. So for people who already own a Pentax film or DSLR camera set, they could just buy this for a smaller body and still use those great lenses.

Yes, for this price, you COULD buy a Canon or Nikon DSLR, but this is mirror-less, so it won't be so big and bulky as a true DSLR.

UPDATE: Apparently this camera is almost the same specs as the Pentax K-5 (maybe Pen's best camera right now) but without a mirror. So you can expect a similar quality from this that you would the DSLR variant but a little smaller in size.

So it's the first mirror-less to natively use the same K-lens lineup without adapters. Again, most of you won't care if you don't have a Pentax DSLR or into photography.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]heezdeadjim[/nom]This probably isn't for you alidan. While this isn't a DSLR (they have mirrors), it will accept the K-mount lenses. For those not in the know, the K-mount lenses are herald as some of the best lenses. So for people who already own a Pentax film or DSLR camera set, they could just buy this for a smaller body and still use those great lenses.Yes, for this price, you COULD buy a Canon or Nikon DSLR, but this is mirror-less, so it won't be so big and bulky as a true DSLR.UPDATE: Apparently this camera is almost the same specs as the Pentax K-5 (maybe Pen's best camera right now) but without a mirror. So you can expect a similar quality from this that you would the DSLR variant but a little smaller in size.So it's the first mirror-less to natively use the same K-lens lineup without adapters. Again, most of you won't care if you don't have a Pentax DSLR or into photography.[/citation]

cameras have always been an area of interest for me, even if the more expensive ones are beyond what i need.

what is the difference between having and not having a mirror
and buying a name is a valid question, because there is alot of tech areas where you are over charged because of the name attached to it, and this camera made news here because im assuming because of the Marc Newson person.

heezdeadjim

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]cameras have always been an area of interest for me, even if the more expensive ones are beyond what i need. what is the difference between having and not having a mirrorand buying a name is a valid question, because there is alot of tech areas where you are over charged because of the name attached to it, and this camera made news here because im assuming because of the Marc Newson person.[/citation]

I'll keep it simple for everyone: DSLR's (Single Lens Reflex) have a mirror and pentaprism that take up quite a bit of space, hence why they are usually bulky/large/heavy. Taking the mirror and pentaprism out makes it much smaller.

You're paying a little for the name (Marc Newson), but this is a completely first mirror-less camera for Pentax (they just got a high profile name to design it, is all). That's probably why it's making news here.

A lot of the newer mirrorless cameras are asking more than the DSLR counterparts. That's because you're paying for the "portable" commodity rather than the raw power/quality of something bigger. Think how an unlocked phone or tablet or laptop costs more than a desktop computer that is much more powerful. Cameras are similar in pricing...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]heezdeadjim[/nom]I'll keep it simple for everyone: DSLR's (Single Lens Reflex) have a mirror and pentaprism that take up quite a bit of space, hence why they are usually bulky/large/heavy. Taking the mirror and pentaprism out makes it much smaller.You're paying a little for the name (Marc Newson), but this is a completely first mirror-less camera for Pentax (they just got a high profile name to design it, is all). That's probably why it's making news here.A lot of the newer mirrorless cameras are asking more than the DSLR counterparts. That's because you're paying for the "portable" commodity rather than the raw power/quality of something bigger. Think how an unlocked phone or tablet or laptop costs more than a desktop computer that is much more powerful. Cameras are similar in pricing...[/citation]

not a 1 to 1 comparison there. the phones cost so much because the price is jacked on the hardware end, at least with apple, charging up to 4 time the production cost, and desktops generally you can build your own, so you always have to compete with someone who may just build their own and sell them at cheaper than your pre build.

that aside, is there a quality difference between the mirrorless and the mirrored version? i'm just assuming you know more than me or at least make more sense of it that i can from a technical explanation.

heezdeadjim

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
The point was that you tend to pay more for portable gear than the full size counterpart: the same money you spend on a laptop will nearly always yield a faster desktop for the same price.

As for this camera's image quality, I'm guessing it's nearly identical (seeing that the camera has the same specs from the mirrored version), which is good. Most mirror-less tend to have smaller sensors (P&S pocket cameras, micro 4/3rds cameras), therefore suffering from much worse IQ than most DSLRs. That's been changing recently with Leica's M9 and Fuji X100, Sony NEX7, and now this mirror-less Pentax since they manage to fit a APS-C (1.6 crop factor) into these smaller bodies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]heezdeadjim[/nom]The point was that you tend to pay more for portable gear than the full size counterpart: the same money you spend on a laptop will nearly always yield a faster desktop for the same price.As for this camera's image quality, I'm guessing it's nearly identical (seeing that the camera has the same specs from the mirrored version), which is good. Most mirror-less tend to have smaller sensors (P&S pocket cameras, micro 4/3rds cameras), therefore suffering from much worse IQ than most DSLRs. That's been changing recently with Leica's M9 and Fuji X100, Sony NEX7, and now this mirror-less Pentax since they manage to fit a APS-C (1.6 crop factor) into these smaller bodies.[/citation]

so let me see if i get this

the cameras had mirrors so they could have larger sensors
larger sensors mean better photos (barring a leap in sensor quality)

but this raises another question... why did it take them so long to make a mirrorless with a large sensor?

i mean no body likes bulky cameras, well... i do... but most people dont, this kind of seams like something that they should have been working on for the last... well... sense cameras went to 3mp

im assuming ill have to look that answer up on my own... ill post back here with an answer if i find it relatively fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.