Permanently disable stuck F1 key from laptop keyboard

shahab123

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello,
I have an old compaq presario laptop that has an annoying habit of F1 key getting stuck, so whenever I start the computer it enters setup, I cleaned the keyboard with several methods I found on the web but after sometime the same F! key gets stuck. I want to permanently remove/ disable this key on the keyboard's hardware. can some one guide me how this can be done without disturbing other key functions

shahab123

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hi Brett, Thanks for your reply
I've tried physically prying off the key....it didn't work, removing the keyboard cable necessitates an external keyboard, something very inconvenient, replacement keyboard is costly. I want to disable this one key alone, I am thinking about something like selectively destroying the tiny circuit behind the rubber dome, but how this can be done safely without disturbing the remaining keys, I am not sure. Can someone help?

Hi :)

I would guess its the rubber dome sticking down....so FORCE off the key and pull off the dome...

All the best Brett :)

shahab123

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

No the the rubber membrane dome can be easily lifted up. any more suggestion welcome.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I don't suppose cleaning the traces with a pencil eraser was one of the things you tried?

Does it stop being stuck when you pry the key up and lift the dome? if so you could cover the trace or remove the dome. I wouldn't suggest anything drastic that's a rather important key...

shahab123

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

I tried what you suggested, Nothing except disconnecting the keyboard works, It seems that the problem is short circuiting in the little circuit beneath the key, that keeps the circuit connected as if the key is permanently pressed. For me not having F1 key is not a big problem, I need it only to enter the setup, for that I can connect a ps/2 keyboard when needed.
Thanks for your continued interest.