Phone alternatives - Majic Jack

cowboy1611

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Looking to see if there are other choices besides Majic Jack (condisdering using it), to make use of my existing home phones.

I recently cancelled my landline phone.

I do have a cell phone, but occasionally it's nice to be able to use a traditional phone.

I know there are things like Google Voice, and Skype etc...
But they don't allow you to make use of your existing household phones.

So, anyone run across anything similar to Majic Jack ?
If so , how is it working ?

There's Ooma, but it is more expensive at $200. I don't believe there are any annual subscription fees like MagicJack, but there are nominal monthly fees and taxes. How much depends on where you live. I entered my zip code in the taxes and fees calculator and it came up as $3.47 per month.

Unlike MagicJack, it does not require a computer to use, only a broadband connection (and a phone), and you can use it to dial 911.

http://www.ooma.com/

cowboy1611

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Majic Jack plus, is an updated version which doesn't require the PC, it plugs in directly to the internet.

Pyree, the router I understand, what are some of the VoIP subscriptions you are refering to.

Pyree

Distinguished
There are many VoIP service you can subscrib to. I simply use the one from my ISP. $10 and I get $20 credit. Free national land line call and 5c per minute international. It is more expensive than most VoIP service but the data use is uncounted toward my quota. I am in Australia so you may not be in the same market as I am.