Phone boasts 8MP camera but its CPU only supports 5MP?

lunermac

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I have been looking at a Chinese manufactured smartphone simply known by model: H9503 and have noticed that while it boasts an 8MP rear camera, upon research of its CPU (MT6572) I see that it only supports a maximum of 5MP.

My question is, what kind of problems would this pose if this phone did have an 8MP sensor with that CPU? Would the camera application simply freeze/fail to execute or would it only operate at the reduced megapixel limit?

Its also feasible of course that the camera sensor stated is simply not true! Any views greatly appreciated.

Solution
Dude, I'd be weary of buying a Chinese phone that doesn't even have a brand name. VERY weary. Good luck on getting any warranty repairs on it should anything go wrong. The fact that they put an 8MP camera on a phone with a CPU only capable of handling 5MP tells me that they are shady. I'd think twice about this one.

dustinhunt78

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
Dude, I'd be weary of buying a Chinese phone that doesn't even have a brand name. VERY weary. Good luck on getting any warranty repairs on it should anything go wrong. The fact that they put an 8MP camera on a phone with a CPU only capable of handling 5MP tells me that they are shady. I'd think twice about this one.

Solution

lunermac

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Absolutely this is my thinking, however the price does make me think its worth a shot anyway regardless of warranty. If it turns out to be no good Ill just put it down to experience :p

The only thing that would worry me is regulation when it comes to radiation etc.

This is the phone

dustinhunt78

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

This is one of those things that I really want to know the final outcome. If you do go with the phone, please post back here and tell me the verdict. Just make sure that you're prepared to eat the cost of this phone should it go bad. If you don't think you'll miss the money that bad, I would say that taking a chance may be worth it. But if you can't eat the cost easily, I'd stay clear of this one.

lunermac

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Its a comfortable cost to bear and I do think I will go for it. My worry was simply if the primary camera would function reliably or not at all. Either way I will post back here when I purchase the phone in a few weeks (relying on Chinese air mail) and let you know how I get on.

dustinhunt78

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

Please do let me know how it turns out. Not many people can afford to gamble like that (me included LOL)

lunermac

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Decided against this in the end guys, purely based on the research I did on high radiation levels with imported phones.

The following video was enough food for thought; despite the limited research on the affects of cell phone radiation I didn't think it was worth the gamble.

dustinhunt78

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

Thank you for your reply! I was looking forward to it.

lunermac

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Sorry about that :)

Just a quick courtesy question if you don't mind answering, how do you quote sections of other posts or even the whole post? I'm new to forums and that could come in handy!

dustinhunt78

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014

See where it says, "Reply to ......." at the bottom right of a post? Just click that link and it quotes automatically. Just scroll down to the bottom of the window that opens up and start typing. :)

lunermac

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Got it, thanks :)