Photos visible on camera but not SD card

Richard57UK

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I have just tried to copy my holiday photos from my camera to my PCC and about 10% of them appear defective: the bottom of the pictures is missing (the amount missing being anything from about the bottom 10% to about 80%). Futhermore, the same defect appears when I plug the SD card into my laptop and try to view the photos directly from the card. However the photos can be viewed on the screen on my camera and appear to be perfectly OK (I.e. I can see the whole of all of the pictures by placing the SD card in the camera and scrolling through the photos). So it seems that 100% of each photo exists yet I can't view them on anything other than the camera. This seems bizarre. Any idea as for how I could solve the problem?

Solution
It's a corrupt card.
The D40x saves pics in 2 formats, JPG and NEF.

NEF being Nikons version of RAW, and much larger files. So you actually have 2 files for each pic.
The camera is showing you the JPG. Try to transfer them to the PC, and some of the NEF files are corrupt.

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
What make/model of camera do you have?

The reason I ask is that It may be that it has saved the photos in a file format that is only viewable by the camera, and you may require a third party program to view them on your PC/Laptop.

Richard57UK

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
The camera is a Nikon D40x. However, I don't think that the issue can relate to the format of the saving of the photos since 90% of all of my photos are transferring to my PC without a problem and, as previously indicated, parts of the other photos are fine (e.g. In one case the top half of the picture is fine but the bottom half simply does not seem to exist on the SD card even though it appears on the camera screen).

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014

That is strange. It may be that the card reader you are using is not making full contact with the memory card, or maybe it is corrupting the data when transferred? Are you able to plug in a USB cable to the camera and see if you can transfer the photos via the USB cable to the PC as a workaround?

It may be worth testing a second memory card with the camera to see if you can replicate the problem. Then you can narrow it down to the card reader on your laptop or else a dodgy memory card then.

USAFRet

Illustrious
It's a corrupt card.
The D40x saves pics in 2 formats, JPG and NEF.

NEF being Nikons version of RAW, and much larger files. So you actually have 2 files for each pic.
The camera is showing you the JPG. Try to transfer them to the PC, and some of the NEF files are corrupt.

Solution