Pioneer AVR recommendation

zolakt

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Hi,
I'm buying a new AVR.
I can get a good deal on these Pioneer devices, so I'm trying to figure out which one fits my needs (I'm not an AV expert):

- VSX-528
- VSX-824
- VSX-828
- VSX-924

You can click the links to open back panel images.

Basically, these are my requirements:
- HDMI input/output (with ARC if possible)
- HDMI-CEC support
- wireless/bluetooth connection so it can be controlled with a smartphone app
- wireless/bluetooth connection so it can play from remote devices
- it has to have 2 zones, connected like this:
- zone 1 - connected to 5.1 home theater speakers
- zone 2 - connected to 2.1 active PC speakers (in another room)

The last point is my biggest problem.
I want to reuse my old 2.1 PC speakers. They are connected to a subwoofer with build in amp. The only wire I have coming out of the subwoofer is a 3.5mm jack.

As far as I can see, the 528 & 824, don't support Zone2.
The 828 does support it, but I don't know how to connect my speakers. It has inputs for passive speakers, but how to connect my active ones? There are no Zone2 pre out. Can it be connected only with the subwoofer pre out? It if can, why not do the same with the 528 or 824 amps? What difference would it make?

The last one, 924 does seem to have all I need, pre outs, zone 2 pre outs... but as expected it is the priciest of the bunch.

Feel free to elaborate on any other differences... like a said I'm not an AV expert..
For example is the built in WiFi crucial for the smartphone app, or can it work if the AVR is connected with Ethernet?
What is the use of a second HDMI (HDZONE) out, what is HDZONE anyway?

Basically, can the 828 (or lower) fulfill all of my requirements?
If not, 924 seems like the only option.
Even if the 828 does it all, is the 924 worth another 100$ extra?

Solution
how to connect pc speakers to zone 2? assuming of course that you do not have any aux or non-speaker level outputs you would need a speaker to line level device. this takes the amplified signal and reduces it to a level that can be used with active speakers or other devices.

if you need zone2 support then you need to buy one with zone 2 built in. is the benefit of being able to control content to the zone 2 on the receiver more beneficial than the added cost? since you can not be in two rooms at once it may be cheaper/easier to keep them separate systems. your call of course.

i'll let the others handle the other questions as i dont have much time.

how to connect pc speakers to zone 2? assuming of course that you do not have any aux or non-speaker level outputs you would need a speaker to line level device. this takes the amplified signal and reduces it to a level that can be used with active speakers or other devices.

if you need zone2 support then you need to buy one with zone 2 built in. is the benefit of being able to control content to the zone 2 on the receiver more beneficial than the added cost? since you can not be in two rooms at once it may be cheaper/easier to keep them separate systems. your call of course.

i'll let the others handle the other questions as i dont have much time.

Solution

zolakt

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
If the amp has Zone2 pre outs, why would I need the speaker to line level device?

I definitely want a receiver with Zone2 support, the only question is how can I connect my speakers to it?
Yes, I can't be in 2 rooms at the same time, but I don't live alone. That is why I want Zone2 support and a smartphone remote.
2 separate systems are out of the question currently, since it would pump up the cost significantly. I'd have buy another another FM tuner, another bluetooth receiver, connect my pc to it... basically I would need to buy another AVR. I can't get all of that for 100-200$, that is the difference between these models.

I guess there would be no problem with the 924 model.
But I'd like to know could I get something cheaper and still make it work, like the 828 model.