Solved! Pioneer MCS 333 vs Sony DAV DZ100

Aug 8, 2019
Hello guys,

I am replacing my old Sony DZ100 with Pioneer MCS 333. But it is difficult for me to read THD%, RMS and other audio rating standard. I just want my next sound system make better sound than the old one. But as I mentioned I am a bit confused with reading those values. Please check out following value and kindly suggest me whether I am doing right or not.

Pioneer MCS 333 (The one I am planning to buy)
RMS Total Power: 1000W
RMS Front: 1 kHz, 30% THD, 4 ohms 170 W/ch
Centre: 1 kHz, 30% THD, 4 ohms 170 W
Rear: 1 kHz, 30% THD, 4 ohms 170 W/ch
Subwoofer: 100 Hz, 30% THD, 4 ohms 170 W (Passive)
https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/products/home_theater_system/mcs-333/specification.php

SONY DAV DZ100 (My old sound system)
Power Output - Front (RMS 10%THD): 120W x 2
Power Output - Centre (RMS): 120W
Power Output - Surround (RMS): 120W x 2
Power Output - Subwoofer (RMS) 120W
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/...home-theater-systems/dav-dz100/specifications

I roughly know that lower the THD % better the sound quality. According to the value, Pioneer has more wattage but 30% in THD while SONY has only 10%THD. This is where I confused.

Thanks.

Solution
All the power specs on this type of HTS system are rarely even remotely accurate. Off brand HTS systems just make up the specs. Brand names use outrageously high THD levels. You can hear .01% THD so ratings at 10% or 30% mean that the amps are being wildly over driven to get that spec.
Fortunately more power doesn't make one sound better than another unless one won't play loud enough for you.
The quality of the speakers is usually much more critical to better sound but are much more expensive to make and the quality of sound isn't clearly indicated by the specs.
The Pioneer is a old discontinued model but newer than the Sony. If you get it cheap it will offer a more up to date disc player and newer surround processing but don't expect...
All the power specs on this type of HTS system are rarely even remotely accurate. Off brand HTS systems just make up the specs. Brand names use outrageously high THD levels. You can hear .01% THD so ratings at 10% or 30% mean that the amps are being wildly over driven to get that spec.
Fortunately more power doesn't make one sound better than another unless one won't play loud enough for you.
The quality of the speakers is usually much more critical to better sound but are much more expensive to make and the quality of sound isn't clearly indicated by the specs.
The Pioneer is a old discontinued model but newer than the Sony. If you get it cheap it will offer a more up to date disc player and newer surround processing but don't expect it to sound better (or not by much).

Reactions: Aung_Thiha
Solution
Aug 8, 2019
The Pioneer is a old discontinued model but newer than the Sony. If you get it cheap it will offer a more up to date disc player and newer surround processing but don't expect it to sound better (or not by much).

Thanks much for your reply. It helps me a lot to understand. :D