Pioneer VSX-516-K (overload flashes at power on)

The_Tester

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
(Note: this receiver was in perfect working order before it was put in storage. With the exception of summer heat and winter cold it's pretty much just been in my garage in a box for about 3 years).

Long story short I dug this thing out of storage (dry, but not climate controlled) and figured I'd repurpose it. When I turn it on (nothing connected) it shows the last state it was in (DVD/LD) then then flashes overload a few time then turn off. I tried hooking up the speakers that were originally used with it (Complete 5.1 JBL Northridge set + two E50's for the surround back) but didn't really change anything even with messing with the volume attenuation the best I could.

The speakers are currently in use with another receiver and just wanted to steal the two E50's for my computer (a little big for computer speakers but hey why not lol). Originally I was going to replace all the AC caps and any that were poofed up. I'm not sure I want to go through the trouble now. I've already inspected it quite a bit for any corrosion, bug droppings, mice and all that stuff. The insides still look clean and no obvious signs of damage (or poofed caps).

I've already did a bit of searching of the web and there is no one answer i've been able to find common to this error message. It's mostly likely a faulty amplifier or possibly the capacitors just need to be completely replaced (not worth the time and effort unless I know if will fix the problem). I could probably take it apart and probe around for something obvious with a DMM to start with but that's more of a weekend project right now.

Basically i'm shooting in the dark to to see if anyone with direct experience or knowledge of the VSX line can help me rule out some stuff that would not be related inside (like a certain card or area of the circuitry inside).

finding a service manual can be extremely hard even for older models. i have a vsx-30 and finding a manual or even reset codes is a nightmare.

mine works great most of the time but trips the protect/error switches once in awhile and shuts my amplifier off for no apparent reason. i've had it apart and there isnt any damage and its even been in for service once and is no electronic issue other than it tripping once in awhile. given that mine doesnt appear to have any electrical problems i use reset codes when it acts up though if you have an electrical issue it may compound the issue. on an old set, not much harm in trying though.

i cant say i've ever had the overload flashing though and your error is different than what i get and certainly might be a capacitor like bu noted though i couldnt say for sure.

in case you were interested.. as a fellow vsx owner these are some of the hard to find codes i've found.

i had to manually experiment to find these on mine.. reset codes for mine are at standby and holding the keys down at the same time for a few seconds...
on+speakers
on+multi-zone

though could be on+preset-, on+alc/standardsurr, on+advsurr or similar. heres the ONLY guide for codes i could find for pioneer vsx units when i was having the trouble with mine. i searched for many hours and this is all i could come up with for the vsx-30, perhaps you can have more luck with your model. http://electronicshelponline.blogspot.com/2013/05/pioneer-vsx-821-k-vsx-921-k-vsx-521-k_14.html its not an exact fix for your issue, but perhaps the information will be handy.

if you're looking for just a small amplifier and the pioneer ends up biting the dust, perhaps the dta-120 amplifier.

The_Tester

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
I know the service manual route is probably the most effective one (they can be extremely detailed down to internal workings of IC's). This is however the exact thing I want to avoid. I know if I found good legit manual it would just be a matter of time then a matter of can I find the parts.

I did initially bookmark this for later early this weekend...
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/829895/Pioneer-Vsx-516-K.html#manual
And a few others not quite as good as that one (this one seems to be an actual service manual).

I'm fairly certain this is going to be old cap related as budwhich stated. I don't have any desoldering equipment at my home (don't really need it but a plus to have) and where I work they frown upon people working on personal items during the normal workweek after shifts. As of now it's a matter of laziness but I do plan to see what other info I can gather up. Probably won't happen till this weekend, figured I'd let this thread "soak" for a little while in the meantime.

P.S. Not a huge deal if I need to scrap/donate it. Just it's still got relevant support and technology for nice little basic 2.0 setup (no zones, network or hdmi needed for that).

I'll fill in what I find...

The_Tester

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
Well the problem was found. Apparently a pico fuse on a bit attached to the main transformer had been blown (read open) that feeds the feeds the analog in/out section. This was causing it to (falsely) report an overload. I jumped the fuse with a meter set to current and with the exception of a little spike each time I tried a power up, seems to work properly. I sat it in the oven and got the temps to right around 110 (turning it on warm for like 10 sec at a time while using an IR thermometer). And the spike was not registering on the meter anymore

Guess i'm going to be replacing caps after all and see how long it lasts.