Platinum Nanoparticles Make Fuel Cells Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I go to Cornell University... I guess if they don't get me in those pesky Cornell Daily Sun E-mails, Tom's Hardware will make sure I don't miss it.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I have to say when I read platinum I was wondering how this will reduce costs, but not knowing much about fuel cells and the explanation givin it really seems like they are onto somthing.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Now.. the thing is, WHEN this tech is gonna get off the labs?
The ozone layer ain't gonna wait forever to be destroyed by petrol-based fuels..
Gogo alternative non-polluting fuels!

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
No contributions to climate change or air pollution as a by-product.

Well, that's a matter of definition really. Though strictly speaking water vapour isn't air pollution, it is however contribution significantly to global climate change.

Water vapour is a much more potent greenhouse gas than methane which in turn is a much more greenhouse gas than CO2, all contributing to global warming. But at the same time water vapour in the high athmossphere is also contributing to global cooling hence the more acurate term of global climate change.

It's not easy being a tree hugger :)

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
What happens about high levels of CO in the atmosphere though?

Presumably this car is going to be driven on raods shared with other vehicles putting out high levels of CO. How are they going to prevent the cells from being contaminated by the general air pollution found on the roads?

Even if the cell can be sealed away from it, whats to say that CO won't become disolved into the Hydrogen in the fuel tank as this can't be sealed to allow filling up.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Alsone[/nom]What happens about high levels of CO in the atmosphere though?[/citation]

In principle nothing as a careful read of the article reveals that the new cells can withstand "2 percent" CO levels, pressumably that translates to 20000 ppm (parts per million) which is 50 times higher than the level instantly lethal to humans at 400 ppm.

neilnh

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Dkz[/nom]Now.. the thing is, WHEN this tech is gonna get off the labs?The ozone layer ain't gonna wait forever to be destroyed by petrol-based fuels.. Gogo alternative non-polluting fuels![/citation]

Ozone depletion has nothing to do with petrol-based fuels. The ozone layer keeps OUT ultraviolet rays and is destroyed by CFC's from aerosols. Burning fossil fuels releases gas that keeps more heat in the atmosphere (greenhouse effect).

As far as getting out of the labs... As soon as it's cost effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.