PlayBook Won't Have Native Email App at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Doesn't a blackberry that can't do e-mail or scheduling kind of defeat the purpose of buying a blackberry (yea i know its a tablet)

mariahills

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for showing up such fabulous information. I like this post, keep writing and give informative post...!

Orlando Prom Limo

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
as long as it has a browser you can check your email online anyway. Push email is nice if you get 100's of emails a day or stuff is urgent but tbh while I do own a blackberry device, I could honestly wait till I got home to check my 6 spam emails of the day. With phones being able to receive emails as standard its not really as if its a deal breaker that your tablet can't, unless your totally replacing your phone with your tablet.
While not essential I still think it falls under nice to have.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
So the primary market of existing Blackberry phone users will be completely unaffected and the remainder will have to wait a while for the App to be created.

So what's the problem?

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
No native e-mail support is a big thing. Tablets are becoming more and more popular in companies and having proper caldendar, contacts, e-mail and task support is important. Having the ability to connect to Exchange via activesync is also important. Blackberry is shooting themselves in the foot.

How many times have we heard companies say that support would be added later, only to wait ridiculous amounts of time after purchasing it only to find out the feature will not be available after all, or you will need to purchase the new version of the device to get it.

My advice to you is this, buy it for what it is as it stands now if you must, not for what they promise down the road.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
The playbook is being marketed towards business applications and many of those businesses already use a blackberry phone. Since no tablets that I've heard of in NA have the ability to make phone calls anyway, everyone who buys one probably already has one. In the business world the BB dominates so for the market they are trying to enter I don't see this as a deal breaker.

Personally, if I didn't have a blackberry for work I would own a Galaxy instead and the only way I'd get a playbook is if my work provided one so I don't see the issue.

G

I understand companies feel this need to get a tablet released to get back some share from Apple. But don't they realize they're shooting themselves in the foot by releasing incomplete and buggy products? The Playbook will be released, it will be lambasted for being incomplete and buggy, and then BB will be wondering why their product couldn't compete and costing them more market share and loss profits.

I prefer Android, but until that tablet OS is in its second or even third release, I'm not going to even consider it. Heck, even once it is stable and complete, not sure I'd get one. Tablets are too big to carry with me and costs too much for what they are: a really big touch-screen phone without the phone.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]as long as it has a browser you can check your email online anyway. Push email is nice if you get 100's of emails a day or stuff is urgent but tbh while I do own a blackberry device, I could honestly wait till I got home to check my 6 spam emails of the day. With phones being able to receive emails as standard its not really as if its a deal breaker that your tablet can't, unless your totally replacing your phone with your tablet. While not essential I still think it falls under nice to have.[/citation]
You might find e-mail non-essential but for the majority of BlackBerry owners e-mail is our livelihood. I'm not sure why you even got a BlackBerry if you don't have any real business reason to be using one, they really aren't that great when it comes to non-business related activities, (IE no fart apps).

I'm not sure why anyone is defending BlackBerry for adding another nail to the coffin of their Playbook. I don't believe for a second those people are actually going to buy one when they are released. I was initially interested at first, then found out it's useless without a dedicated BlackBerry phone and that ended it for me. Not having a native e-mail client might not matter for the 3 idiots that buy one of these because they'll need it piggybacked onto their BlackBerry phone anyway....but this just is another reminder that RIM is not serious with their tablet aspirations. This is also another reminder of why RIM is falling behind Android; they don't listen to their customers.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]mfontenot11[/nom]But don't they realize they're shooting themselves in the foot by releasing incomplete and buggy products?[/citation]
You could easily be talking about Apple with that statement

The first iPhone was a shocking pile of crap - but hey, it was Apple so everyone STFU and just buy it OK?

The iPad? First next-gen tablet on the market and it completely diverted away from being able to actually be a computer and had less actual functions than an 8 year old PocketPC - but hey, it was Apple and we gave you the App Store so STFU and keep buying more weather Apps to go on it OK?

The initial market is existing BB customers, so they will be completely unaffected and when the reviews come in for how well it performs it will get the email function in time for the next big round of sales to non-BB customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.