PlayStation 3 Finally Hacked With a USB Stick?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Yeah, even more ways for the pirating scum to ruin the gaming industry. Without piracy Securom and other tools that annoy legit customers wouldn't exist.

I hear a lot of people claiming they pirate because of the absurdly strict security on modern games, but this draconian protection exists because of the pirates...

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
@ally
Your comments are interesting and you sound well informed. I'm wondering though: Even though the SYSCON is not writable and thus a software patch cannot fix it as you say, could a future software patch read the SYSCON or other firmware setting to see if the PS3 has, in fact, been placed into debug mode? This information could then be used to prevent the PS3 from functioning, unless some other undisclosed condition is met. Thus the battle will be on between sony software patches and software hackers.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Then strangely why pirates have never issue with protections ?
I bought over 50 games since beginning of last year and still use cracks so I don't need to install some crap or to use 747 called CD/DVDrom drive.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Kotaku has been in contact with OzModChips regarding this product, and the seller claims that the device is real and is most definitely not a hoax. OzModChips is currently taking preorders for the USB stick, which is called the "PS JailBreak," for $169.99 AUD.

The contact at OzModChips doesn't know much about how the USB device works, other than "it tricks the ps3 into thinking its a dev unit…"

Is it just me or that doesnt sound really convincing...

I have a bridge to sell if anybody is interested. PM me.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Is it just me or that doesnt sound really convincing...[/citation]

Agreed. I'd recommend anyone interested wait until a few independent reviews are out. I'm sticking with Gamefly until I see that the device is still working after Sony has had time to release a few firmware updates.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I'm only surprised that it took this long. I would assume that Sony will smash this crack in the next update. Meaning that you wouldn't be able to hook the PS3 up online.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I don't think that that stick is anything else then a regular USB memory stick, although the software might be made to read and recognize the unique serial key of the memory chip to run, but that could be easily hacked.

hacking the hacking tools FTW

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]nologo[/nom]i forecast sales for ps3 will rocket - lets face it..thats the main reason why xbox 360 had great sales..because everyone could mod it easily.[/citation]

I understand that now Sony is actually making money with each unit sold, so it might not be that bad for them, but I think they have something in the contracts with game publishers to try and stop piracy.. :?

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Piracy sux???
Get the *beep* out of here, piracy is the greatest invention ever!
What do you expect with the 60 euro price of a game???
It's easy when you have mommy and daddy to bring your a** to the store and buy you some games, little retards. Just wanna see you when you work your a** out all day, have bills to pay ecc., so shut the *beep* up, once and for all.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Yeah, even more ways for the pirating scum to ruin the gaming industry. Without piracy Securom and other tools that annoy legit customers wouldn't exist.I hear a lot of people claiming they pirate because of the absurdly strict security on modern games, but this draconian protection exists because of the pirates...[/citation]

The problem is that SecureRom and other anti-piracy/DRM tools shouldn't even need to exist. They never prevented or slowed down software piracy, so their existence is moot. The only thing they do is annoy paying customers.

Take Assassin's Creed 2 for the PC for example. Ubisoft spend tons of money on it's new always on DRM, and went on to the press say that it would be uncrackable for years to come. Yet, very quickly, there were ways to skip the DRM. So in the end all the effort and money was for nothing. All they achieved was infuriated customers like myself.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Yeah, even more ways for the pirating scum to ruin the gaming industry. Without piracy Securom and other tools that annoy legit customers wouldn't exist.I hear a lot of people claiming they pirate because of the absurdly strict security on modern games, but this draconian protection exists because of the pirates...[/citation]

You sir have a poor understanding of the purpose behind DRM.
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2007/01/8616.ars
DRM has never really been about piracy, think about it, when the license keys and securom and spinning code wheels came out who suffered? Pirates? No sir, second hand sales that's who, you ever notice that there is no second hand PC game market? DRM never stopped one pirate, but it did kill second hand sales and in the future will limit our freedoms even more, educate yourself before you come on here spouting nonsense as if it was fact. DRM is about control and artificial scarcity, NOT about piracy. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either a dishonest liar or a gullible idiot.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]Piracy sux???Get the *beep* out of here, piracy is the greatest invention ever!What do you expect with the 60 euro price of a game???It's easy when you have mommy and daddy to bring your a** to the store and buy you some games, little retards. Just wanna see you when you work your a** out all day, have bills to pay ecc., so shut the *beep* up, once and for all.[/citation]Piracy sux???Get the *beep* out of here, piracy is the greatest invention ever!What do you expect with the 60 euro price of a game???It's easy when you have mommy and daddy to bring your a** to the store and buy you some games, little retards. Just wanna see you when you work your a** out all day, have bills to pay ecc., so shut the *beep* up, once and for all.

Great; it’s because of people like this that games will soon be $80 apiece. Gaming is a luxury, not a right. If you can’t afford to pay for the games that developers spend thousands of hours making, you should just make your own games.

If I can’t afford to put gas in my tank because mommy and daddy used to and now I don’t have job, it doesn’t make it okay to siphon gas out of my neighbors truck.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE STEALING FROM THE REST OF US.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]Piracy sux???Get the *beep* out of here, piracy is the greatest invention ever!What do you expect with the 60 euro price of a game???It's easy when you have mommy and daddy to bring your a** to the store and buy you some games, little retards. Just wanna see you when you work your a** out all day, have bills to pay ecc., so shut the *beep* up, once and for all.[/citation]

Not sure if you are referring to me.. but if so.. your analogy is highly mistaken.
I have a wife, kids, job, mortgage and 3 vehicles.. so don't tell me about bills.
Piracy "sux" as you so elegantly put it.. because the developers spend money to combat piracy and pass the cost onto the consumer even though it doesn't even seem to prevent it.
So piracy only hurts the customer not the company.
However.. i always crack my games with a no-cd because i am way to lazy to grab the disk every time..and i don't want to scratch my disks that paid good old American $$$ with.
That is the only reason i even agree with cracking games in the first place.. NOT for piracy.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
If you can afford to pay $300 (Or $600 at the time PS3 first launched) then I don't think 60 bucks for one or two games every month or so should be a problem. I don't mind paying for games, I buy good titles and I think paying for your games instead of pirating them displays that you are giving the developers credit for their hard work.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]Again.. piracy sucks.. but having to use a disk every time to play a game is retarded.. PC's, consoles.. its all about controlling the media/format .. but the more they restrict the harder people try to break it. Games should be down loadable for $20... but if you cant wait.. the stores should have them on the shelf for $30. at that price I couldn't help myself.. i would spend more in a couple of months on games then is spend all year. Seems simple to me.. but then again.. what the F@ck do i know[/citation]

Yep. That's like how I used to basically have 5 t-shirts I liked and some others that I could just wear. Then I found shirt.woot.com that sells shirts for $10, and now I have 20-40 (I don't really wanna know) of just those.

Also, I got a crapton of games during the last steam sale, that I most definitely would not have gotten otherwise.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]Yep. That's like how I used to basically have 5 t-shirts I liked and some others that I could just wear. Then I found shirt.woot.com that sells shirts for $10, and now I have 20-40 (I don't really wanna know) of just those.Also, I got a crapton of games during the last steam sale, that I most definitely would not have gotten otherwise.[/citation]
Exactly.... I buy bargain bin games all the time.. and some i dont even play.. stupid really.. but i cant pass them up :)

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Piracy sux???Get the *beep* out of here, piracy is the greatest invention ever!What do you expect with the 60 euro price of a game???It's easy when you have mommy and daddy to bring your a** to the store and buy you some games, little retards. Just wanna see you when you work your a** out all day, have bills to pay ecc., so shut the *beep* up, once and for all.Great; it’s because of people like this that games will soon be $80 apiece. Gaming is a luxury, not a right. If you can’t afford to pay for the games that developers spend thousands of hours making, you should just make your own games. If I can’t afford to put gas in my tank because mommy and daddy used to and now I don’t have job, it doesn’t make it okay to siphon gas out of my neighbors truck.PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE STEALING FROM THE REST OF US.[/citation]

Yeah, i heard that story so many times, but in the end you can talk all day, the fact is that i won't give 60 euro for a game that after 15 hours of playing it, it will occupy some dusty dark place in my house.
If the game is good, developers will have a profit, even if piracy is on a high level, so stop saying bullshit, nobody is stealing from you.
It could sound selfish or something, but i don't really care about the time and money developers are spending creating a game, cause life is too fuc*ed up to worry about dudes making games.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
At the price for this thing, if you really want to, you could always just try and buy a dev console.

These days I buy my games (Steam sales help a lot). I still crack some of them anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.