PlayStation 3 Finally Hacked With a USB Stick?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]Yeah, i heard that story so many times, but in the end you can talk all day, the fact is that i won't give 60 euro for a game that after 15 hours of playing it, it will occupy some dusty dark place in my house.If the game is good, developers will have a profit, even if piracy is on a high level, so stop saying bullshit, nobody is stealing from you. It could sound selfish or something, but i don't really care about the time and money developers are spending creating a game, cause life is too fuc*ed up to worry about dudes making games.[/citation]

Then stop buying games, it's not the developers fault that kids these days have short attention spans. You know once upon a time we used to play games where a pixelated plumber ate mushrooms and stomped on turtles, or that one where the guy in a tunic waved a rectangle and lights fired out at pig men. Most of them could be beaten in under a few hours, most of them looked like someone vomited up legos. We replayed them, got what we called a "high score". You know how much these games cost brand new? 50 bucks. You kids act like paying for video games is a new concept, it isn't. Except in the good ol days, we didn't have a gamestop in every mall that would trade in our old games, we didn't have a Gamefly to drop free games in our mailbox that we could return whenever we were done, we didn't have an emulation or piracy scene.
You got what you heard what was good, if you didn't like it, you played it anyway, because that's what happens when you really can't afford a new game, you make do with what you have.
Oh, and you're an idiot, if developers aren't making money, they stop making games, and you don't have anything good or bad to play. How unfortunate you can't pirate common sense.

Oh, and this thing probably won't be blocked if it's emulating a dev mode, the only way they could stop that would be to prevent development. Better to give it a few months and see what happens though

G

last time someone tried to crack it, Sony took away LINUX support.

Now is Sony going to disable USB ports with the next firmware upgrade?!

lol

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Then stop buying games, it's not the developers fault that kids these days have short attention spans. You know once upon a time we used to play games where a pixelated plumber ate mushrooms and stomped on turtles, or that one where the guy in a tunic waved a rectangle and lights fired out at pig men. Most of them could be beaten in under a few hours, most of them looked like someone vomited up legos. We replayed them, got what we called a "high score". You know how much these games cost brand new? 50 bucks. You kids act like paying for video games is a new concept, it isn't. Except in the good ol days, we didn't have a gamestop in every mall that would trade in our old games, we didn't have a Gamefly to drop free games in our mailbox that we could return whenever we were done, we didn't have an emulation or piracy scene.You got what you heard what was good, if you didn't like it, you played it anyway, because that's what happens when you really can't afford a new game, you make do with what you have.Oh, and you're an idiot, if developers aren't making money, they stop making games, and you don't have anything good or bad to play. How unfortunate you can't pirate common sense.Oh, and this thing probably won't be blocked if it's emulating a dev mode, the only way they could stop that would be to prevent development. Better to give it a few months and see what happens though[/citation]

I don't really give a fuc* what you think about me, if i'm the idiot like you said, i can imagine what kind of person are you, getting upset for nothing and offending people, pathetic.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I prefer buying a bunch of legit games than paying a pirate for a usb stick worth 4$ with a pirated software...

Piracy was about showing companies that you cannot take the peoples for idiots... WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE NOW?!!!

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
its baffling to me that anyone would take the "anti-piracy" argument at this point... after Sony removed back compatibility and Linux support... two huge selling points for the PS3. Are you really defending a company that stole an advertised feature from you without warning?
Furthermore, unless you are leasing your PS3 from Sony... it is your's to mod/ use/ break if you so choose. Its like people complaining about OC'ing their CPUs... am I stealing clock cycles from AMD or am I just using merchandise that I purchased.

@joe gamer - I agree that DRM is more about inducing scarcity/ control than anything else.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]How unfortunate you can't pirate common sense.[/citation]

Trolls. They're about as curable as herpes. You make several good points but I think way to many of the younger generation have no real concept of consequences... in any sense.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
THIS IS SUCH A GREAT NEWS! Finally, I can buy a lot of PS3 games for a cheap price. Why thumb-downed those who support the PS3 mod-chip? You know this is coming and I am sure you secretly want one if you get the chance. Don't be such a hypocrite!! When the product becomes reality, I will definitely buy one!!

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]I Agree...But would like to add ALL games need a free download DEMO...If they are going to ask 50 to 60 for a game I need to know if it sucks or not...I dont know how many wii games my friend has Downloaded that was not worth the time it took to download much less the 30 - 50 bucks it would have cost...So it would be nice to do the same for the PS3...But Sony could prevent the need by providing demos (to weed out sucky games) and lower the price.[/citation]

It's primary a safeguard against buying a game that your computer can not run!

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]@allyYour comments are interesting and you sound well informed. I'm wondering though: Even though the SYSCON is not writable and thus a software patch cannot fix it as you say, could a future software patch read the SYSCON or other firmware setting to see if the PS3 has, in fact, been placed into debug mode? This information could then be used to prevent the PS3 from functioning, unless some other undisclosed condition is met.
Thus the battle will be on between sony software patches and software hackers.[/citation]

Unplug the thing and power back up before you update???they say it will NOT be supported past the current firmware anyway. I just buy all my games from the local used /new shop when on sale. HDD loads would be nice tho,as well as backwards compatibility and otheros. I will stick with 2 out of the 3 lol.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]ally[/nom]This is rumor control, here are the facts.♥ This is not an exploit - it's a clone of the JIG Tool used by Sony to enter machines into service mode for repairs and the like. The term and methodology may be familiar to those of you whom have used "Pandora" batteries for the venerable PSP.♥ This is not a USB Memory Key. Nobody is going to "upload the files" so you can have it for free. It's a complex device with its own FPGA. Will it be cloned? Probably. Will it be cheaper? Probably. Will it be free for you to torrent? No.♥ This can not be software patched - ever. The methodology of the device is that it sends the required handshake to the SYSCON which then allows the PS3 to enter a Package Management mode. This is very similar to a service or debug mode insomuch as the unit relaxes security policies while in this mode. This could, for example, allow for a custom firmware package to potentially be installed, thus circumventing the requirement to use the device at each and every boot time. The SYSCON is not writeable by the console and as such no software patch can fix this; only a hardware revision ala the PSP 3000.The bottom line is this, however - this device does work. It does everything as advertised.[/citation]

Just who are you? A pitchman for the people that crated the USB stick? Are you working to shy people off of creating their own? Go away and take your "facts" with you.

The actual fact is that someone will buy this USB stick, swipe the software off of the stick, then break the USB stick apart and release the technical aspects of the stick so that those of us not dumb enough to give these idiots a lot of money on a gimmicky device that Sony will rip apart(I guarantee they will, as Sony was probably some of the first pre-orders) and patch out of usefulness.

I believe people have an absolute right to do whatever they wish with the property they own(and we own everything we purchase). I do not care that Sony dislikes this USB device, and I would love to gain access to this device, or make my own, which will be rather easy, I am sure. I just will not pay this ridiculous price. $10 to $30 would be reasonable enough, as $10 for the plans or $30 for the actual device is the limit for such a creation.

ally

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
>Take your facts with you
I wonder if people realize just how ignorant they sound when they type these things? Do you proof read at all?

Anyway...

No. I have no affiliation with the product. I don't really care if you buy it or not, tbh. I'm just informing you of the simple fact that this isn't a memory stick; you can't just "dump" it. There's no software to "swipe". The stick has already been pulled apart and the internals splayed to the world. And like I said, from the way this works? It can't be patched out.

I'm glad you got to the meat of your angle eventually tho - that you're just too cheap.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
SYSCON is read only, it can't be patched or updated. More or less its the ultimate back-door into a box and is used for repairs and to re-flash an image when the current one is corrupted. The problem is it will only activate when it receives the proper encoded signal and the only people who knows these things are the devices designers. Someone would of had to smuggle one of their tools outside of the service center in order for this to be possible.

If this is real, then someone reverse engineered a real working tool to get the key out of it. And if so, then its impossible for sony to "fix" it other then recreating a new service key and releasing updated HW. It might not even be worth it now.

G

It can't be more than some software on a usb key. I'll wait to pirate the modstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.