PlayStation 3 Shipments Exceed Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The notion that motion sensing is the future of gaming makes me sad. Same with 3D. Call me a traditionalist, but I'm happy with my controller and ordinary flatscreen.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I agree with burnley14 I hate 3D- it's bothersome and I think some movies are focusing so much on looking nice that the plots are seriously starting to suffer. All of the motion sensing games look really sily too. Not something I want to be spending tons of money on. PS3 overall is probably a better console but both suck because they're so outdated. We really need some new consoles on the market and now.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I'm right with you guys with a lack of enthusiasm for 3D, but I rather like the idea of motion controls or multi-touch screens for use with my PC.

G

That's global. USA Market looks a little different.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/xbox-360-is-best-selling-console-in-february-with-535000-sold/

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]The notion that motion sensing is the future of gaming makes me sad. Same with 3D. Call me a traditionalist, but I'm happy with my controller and ordinary flatscreen.[/citation]

Agreed. 3D is practically a gimmick. I've watched probably three or four movies in 3D, which made it hard to concentrate on the actual movie itself. Played the 3DS over at my friends a week ago, just gave me a headache and I asked where the 2D switch was (haha).

Motion sense, meh. If I want a workout I'll go lift weights or go run. When I'm gaming, I'm doing it to relax.

Get back to me MS/Sony/Nintendo when you guys develop some form of VR.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]erunion[/nom]That's global. USA Market looks a little different.http://www.industrygamers.com/news [...] 5000-sold/[/citation]
They said that they were world wide numbers in the article. What is your point?

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
These numbers don't add up.

VG Chartz has the following sales figures:
Wii = 86.2 million
360 = 52.8 million
PS3 = 49.1 million

The 360 had 40 million consoles sold by the end of March 31st, 2010 (before the Slim models and Kinect). In January 2011 Microsoft said it had shipped over 50 million 360s to date. By end of Q2 2010, Sony said it had sold 41 million. Sony also said it sold 47.9 million by the end of 2010.

From what I have read on other tech websites, Strategy Analytics has some way they believe of measuring "installed base" which is dubious at best and misleading at worst.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
The PS3 juggernaut continues.. now they've shipped more consoles. So, I'm interested to know what the figures are like in 6 months time.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
The ps3 will surpass the 360 eventually in all statistics focusing on the entire world (which is the total proffit, not just the big slice that is the us. The buissness of gaming is global afterall.) Simply because the xbox doesn't have the brand recogniton that playstation does. And sonys system being the same price as sonys now finally doesn't hurt either... rrod,add on hddvd drives and drop of other os nonwithstanding.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]The PS3 juggernaut continues.[/citation]

Yay for the juggernaut of dumbing down...long live the lowest common denominator!

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]erunion[/nom]That's global. USA Market looks a little different.http://www.industrygamers.com/news [...] 5000-sold/[/citation]

Here's a nickle's worth of free education: USA is not the world. This concludes today's lesson. Tomorrow's lesson: the world around you.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
PS3 = game console + free bluray player. I own both the 360 and PS3 and from a value proposition, the PS3 is a better deal. As for games... they are on par. Wii blows... talk about early 90's hardware.

neotechi

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I agree with what burnley14 said. I just want my handheld controller and my flat screen with none of that 3D BS that they keep on saying "this is the future" BS it is. It's just a gimmick for you to pay more for your TV's and a guarantee headache/migraine. Sure with movies its great but with games it's just to much stimuli for the human eye to take. And they thought us staring at monitors was bad... 3D takes that and increases it 3-fold on the stress your eyes take from staring at their 3D monitors/TV's.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Here's a nickle's worth of free education: USA is not the world. This concludes today's lesson. Tomorrow's lesson: the world around you.[/citation]
+1000
The USA comprises on 5% of the world's population, get over yourselves

G

"The USA comprises on 5% of the world's population, get over yourselves"

I think it is actually a little less than that and I agree with the sentiment.

BUT the US does account for 20-30% of the world economy (depending on how you measure it)....meaning that 5% has a lot of purchasing power, which is why "global" products tend to be marketed toward the US.

In regards to this article though (total global sales) that really doesnt matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.