PlayStation 4, Xbox One and the Lifetime of a Game Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpislife

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
What about the PS3 Yellow Light of Death that forced Sony to offer the slim for $99 to any owner experiencing the YLOD and has the original 20GB and 60GB system?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
My PS3 died yesterday, a 60GB (i had just switched to a 320GB drive about 2 weeks ago)
its now dead. :(
So instead of flashy ads about the new consoles I rather see a longer warranty on Sony that can fix my unit for FREE no matter the cause. (other than someone breaking the console on purpose)

In my case I only play a few times a month, and on my chat with a Sony rep, I ask him that I wanted to talk with Customer Service, he said: I'm Customer Service to which I replied: You are NOT Customer Service, You are just a SALES REP. trying to SELL me either a 99 dollar inferior console (SLIM vs FAT) or a fix for 150 dollars.

Why should I pay for something that is a well known hardware error?
Its not my fault.

I'm trying to get it fix locally for a lot less money.
But SONY should step up and SERVICE its customers.

Bottom line any plans on getting a new PS4 have been postpone to maybe never.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
The so called next gen is already outdated when compared to current gaming PCs, BF4 can't even be played at 1080p on either console which is pathetic in my book. But hey if your 12 this doesn't matter :(.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
They can release the next next generation consoles in just few years or less, using a newer APU, and the older games will still be compatible. Even better, MS and Sony should let APU be upgradable!

gunther27

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
just before I saw the bank draft saying $6421, I have faith ...that...my best friend was like actualie bringing home money part time from there labtop.. there best friend had bean doing this for under eight months and a short time ago repaid the mortgage on there house and purchased a new Toyota. Get the facts....... www.Buzz16.com

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Your PS3 is long out of warranty. Unless you paid for an extended warranty, no - they don't need to fix you console for free. Everyone would be out of business if they did that.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Funny thing is that 360 and PS3 games didnt become very good until the consoles reached maturity. Sadly it takes time for game devs to take full advantage of console hardware. I hope this time around the process is much faster! Truly depends on how easy M$ and $ony make it for dev'ing games on their platforms. PS3 was a nightmare at first and Sony should've learned from that.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Octacon, total myth that you need to spend $400 a year on graphics for a PC, I have a 6 year old PC and only upgraded the graphics once, cost me $150 and I can pump any game full HD between 60 and 100 FPS - so I'm calling BS and FUD on your statement

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
And with in those 6 to seven years you have spent 2 X as much as you would have if you had bought a PC as console games cost more, they charge you for online and well both Sony and MS say these are 10 year systems they don't last that long.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Consoles need to be updated more often unless you are ok with your $300 mobile phone having better graphics then your gaming system. Never mind just being behind the PC.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Its hard to get anything done decently nowdays. New consoles are not an exception.
I dont know how many bugs people have reported already, but im quite sure we will have problems with the new consoles rather soon.
Id rather stick with the PCs. Takes more time (especially if the port is horrible and you need to wait for mods for a game to be playable), but its well worth it.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
All i have to say is, consoles drag the industry behind. Instead of making huge leaps, it slows down advancements in development in the graphics department. These consoles releasing is somewhat a relief, but make no mistake that the PC of today out powers the consoles just released. And although you pay say $400 i give a $400-600 dollar GPU a life of 3-5 years and realistically 3 years. And it all depends at what resolution you're playing at. Resolution is everything. Considering the new consoles aren't even 1080p the PC is superior to consoles hands down. I will be playing at 2560x1080 or 2560x1400 very soon :) So giving your 6 month statement is FALSE. Considering GPU's release yearly, and from what we've seen 1 architecture get reused for almost 2 years, the next iteration of gpu's become faster about 20-30% in performance increase but thats after a year later. So take my word for it. A $400 investment in a PC is worth more to me then spending $400 on an already outdated console. Just my opinion.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
A gaming PC, consoles and handheld combine for a tiny fraction of a car price.

If you're still arguing over choosing one of them, you need to get a job.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It's rather interesting the loudest fans come from Microsoft and Sony and yet Nintendo with the Wii clearly and quietly won the previous console war. No fans screaming victory or flaming the others, no bragging from Nintendo. Just a simple enjoyment of a hobby and the joy that comes from making it happen.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
The PS4 for a next gen console that is suppose to last another 7 years seems to be having problems with some games Need for Speed for example frame rate issues seem to be cropping up already.
While it may be a next gen console the hardware by no means is cutting edge and cannot compare to my PC gaming rig that is 2 years old how do they expect the PS4 to last 7 years if some games are already having frame rate issues is it hardware or is it an apu problem since Sony is using a custom engine based on dx11+?.

Status
Not open for further replies.