Please explain what these 3 audio ports are on my laptop!

Gene-Paul Hart

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
Last night I got so frustrated. I have 3 audio ports on my laptop. I had been using the port with the 'headphone' symbol for a while (the left port). But suddenly my Windows 10 didn't recognise when I put my headphones in anymore! I tried playing around with audio settings and drivers but to no success. I eventually tried plugging my headphones into the port on the right (I think it's the 'Line Out'?)

Now I'm just using it like this, is it ok to use my headphones on this port, aren;t they meant for 'Speaker Out'? I uploaded an image, can someone please explain to me simply what each one is? Thanks in advance just trying to get my head around this

https://imgur.com/ANdVfWa

[image link edited by moderator]

Vic 40

Honorable
Herald
Oct 22, 2013
No image,

Can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Besides of that,if it works why not?

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
From left to right:
Headphones/Optical out, Mic in, Speakers.

Using headphones in the speakers connector is fine, you wouldn't notice a difference without high impedance headphones anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Carmody Laptop Tech Support 4
Z Laptop Tech Support 0
bwoble_ Laptop Tech Support 0
ShakedKH Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 2
S Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 4
B Laptop Tech Support 6
S Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 7
D Laptop Tech Support 6