Please Help: Cannot download and install games and applications on newly built computer

TFRANK09

Estimable
May 22, 2014
I just recently built a computer, and I am having trouble downloading certain games/programs.

When I tried to download SimCity through Origin, this error message came up: "Origin was denied access to the following file or folders: ." After hours with Origin support, nothing worked.

When I tried to install the Star Wars: The Old Republic setup tool, this message came up: "error opening file for writing" for every file, and I had to abort the process.

I just tried to install the Belarc Advisor and that failed, as well.

What I have tried:
I have tried a clean boot. I have given full administrative privileges to my user. I disabled User Account Control. I disabled Webroot while trying to install these things. I have partitioned my hard drive. All to no avail.

My computer:

Windows 8.1 64-bit
AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 MoBo
Western Digital 1TB HD
Intel i5-3570 CPU
4gb DDR3 RAM
No dedicated graphics yet

Thank you for your help.

make sure your bios on the mb has all the updates and the ram you have xmp profile turned on and the ram running at the right speed and the ram in the fist main dimm slot. look at your mb guild to make sure it in the right slot. on the new build make sure you have the newest intel chipset drivers installed and the newest intel mei drivers. make sure in the bios the hard drive set to achi mode not raid. run hd tune and hard drive test tool see if your hard drive is fine. run memtest on your ram and use cpu-z to make sure the ram set right. run hitman pro/malware bytes and make sure your anti virus is updated.

TFRANK09

Estimable
May 22, 2014

Thank you very much for this.

Moved RAM to first slot: no change.
Tried to adjust HD config in bios, would not start up in anything other than IDE.
Trying to get drivers, but since downloading/installing is the problem, I am not sure how to get that.
Could not find the xmp option on my mobo, i have PNY memory

I will work on running those tests soon.

Is it possible that this is because I only have 4gb of RAM? Or because I am using integrated graphics?