PMA Part 3: Digital SLR Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1 is NOT a digital SLR. It's a high end point and shoot with a very big zoom. It cannot be compared to a real SLR.

G

Dude, what are you smoking. Another wasted article. Come on.

G

dnz is right, and Samsung is just a rebadge Pentax with a different sensor, and it is not a serious contender neither. Where is Sony, Pentax, and Olympus?

G

I agree. The Pentax K200D and K20D SLRs are much more notable than the Samsung. Which is the same thing with a blue trim instead of green. And Sony has a couple real interesting SLRs on display this year. Namely the A350.

wastral

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Note to the editor: Whoever you are, please never have this ignorant moron type any more words about cameras. Everything he said was wrong from the crap about the 14bit A-D converter on the new Rebel to the fact he doesn't even know what an SLR is. And don't give us tripe about it being a PMA coverage. If you actually want PMA coverage add insight not just copy/paste tripe from the camera makers PR pamphlets. Honestly you guys do it correctly with CES etc why can't you figure out what actually journalism is? Anyone can copy paste BS

G

Your article is not very good I mean, come on. You dont state anything more than we already know and you miss some key points.

Plus what about the Pentax K20D and K200D? Those are two very noticeable camera.

Oh, and the Casio EX-F1 is NOT a digital slr, its just a high end point and shoot.

yass

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Please refrain from having this editor write any more articles on cameras. It is obvious that he knows nothing about the topic.

yass

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Please refrain from having this editor write any more articles on cameras -- he obviously knows nothing about the topic...

G

Please don't write about a subject you don't know. Stay in your pc world and leave the cameras alone.

G

As others have said, the Casio is not a dSLR. It has a 1/1.8" sensor similar to other point and shoot cameras. A typical APS-C SLR such as the Canon or Nikon has a sensor that is about 10 times larger than the Casio.

1/1.8" = 37.63 sq. mm
APS-C (Canon) = 328.56 sq. mm

Also, keep in mind that the super high frame rates it produces are at extremely low resolutions (336X96 @ 1200 fps).

Again, I'm rehashing what others have said, but if you're going to do a roundup of dSLRs, why wouldn't you include the new Pentax and Sony models? If you were to leave one out, certaily the Samsung could have been dropped since it is just a re-badged Pentax.

G

Ok,
This article is obvious an Press Release for Casio, the pictures that apear in the front page of the site is for the casio. Which obviouslly is not a DSLR, and neither casio name it a DSLR. So I think the problem is clearly with Toms Hardware, which Day after day have became a SIte for PROPAGANDA of PRESS RELEASE from who pays more.
MAybe people should digg this article as the last example of the slow death of Toms Hardware

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]husky91[/nom]As others have said, the Casio is not a dSLR. It has a 1/1.8" sensor similar to other point and shoot cameras. A typical APS-C SLR such as the Canon or Nikon has a sensor that is about 10 times larger than the Casio.1/1.8" = 37.63 sq. mmAPS-C (Canon) = 328.56 sq. mm...[/citation]

Sensor size is irrelevant to what makes a camera a SLR.

GillesML

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
ummmmm...

"And there?s dual support for image stabilization, provided by Nikon?s new VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization lens, and Nikon?s proprietary VR camera image stabilization technology."

That's odd. I have not seen any mention anywhere else of Nikon using in camera stabilization on the D60 or on any of their dSLRs. And having a Nikon with in camera stabilization would be HUGE news for Nikon lovers/fanbois/etc... Wonder how many other errors on specs there are. And strating to wonder if the author was even at PMA and handled any of the cameras.

G

Yes, sensor size is irrelevant. However, the fact that it has an electronic viewfinder and does not have a mirror, means that it doesn't qualify for the "reflex" part of the "Single Lens Reflex" part of SLR.

The fact is this writer knows nothing about cameras and did not even do the due diligence a good reporter would have done. Tom's Guide would have done a better service to its readers by inserting a link to qualified coverage, as done by Digital Photography Review. This article does the readers a disservice because it is simply full of misinformation.

weinheimer

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
What good is this article? There is no review or comparison... just a regurgitation of manufacturer supplied specs.

How about a review? Wow how this site has changed over the years... and that's not a compliment!

G

@GillesML

"That's odd. I have not seen any mention anywhere else of Nikon using in camera stabilization on the D60 or on any of their dSLRs."

They are packaging an 18-55 VR lens with the body.

G

I use this site to get information about video cards and CPU's, and I trusted in the information provided here, but this article changed my mind.

I read a lot of information about dSLR cameras, and this is the worst article that I read!

1. The camera dust reduction method aren't very effective. In fact, some dust reduction systems increased the amount of dust in the sensor according to some tests. That's why a lot of semi and pro dSLR cameras doesn't have dust reduction systems, and Nikon refused to introduce this kind of system in the entry-level dSLR until the D60.

2. In my opinion, the most important characteristcs of a dSLR camera is the low noise on high ISO without destructive noise reduction (that means a big sensor with a crop factor of 1.6x or bigger), the interchangeable lens and the optical Trought-The-Lens (TTL) viewfinder (not electronic, please).

3. A bigger zoom means a lot of optical distortion. That's why prime lens (fixed focal length) have a better image quality than zoom lens. And the zoom doesn't mean anything if the focal length isn't provided: a 15-45mm lens is very different from a 80-240mm, but both lens have a 3x zoom.

4. If you want to make movies, don't buy dSLR!

5. If you want a non-dSLR ultra-zoom, the best is the Panasonic FZ18, with 18x optical zoom (28-504mm) and low optical distortion. But like the others very-small-sensor cameras, the high-ISO performace is very bad.

6. If you really want to buy a entry-level dSRL with a lens kit:
Sony has a bad high-ISO performance
- Canon don't have the best high-ISO performance, but it have the most sharp image (low noise reduction) and a lot of good lens.
- Nikon uses the Sony sensor and have a smooth image (high noise reduction) and the body are too small, but it has the best flash metering and the very cheap 55-200mm VR lens.
- Panasonic/Samsung have the best anti-dust reduction system.
- Pentax provides more features (like shake-reduction in the sensor and a weather sealed body), but we don't know about the future of this brand.

GillesML

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
@dstarr3

True they are packaging a VR lens with the body as a kit but the wording of the article says "And there's dual support for image stabilization, provided by Nikon's new VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization lens, and Nikon's proprietary VR camera image stabilization technology." I read that as the author saying there is both VR on the lens (true) and the camera (Which I have not seen mentioned anywhere including the Nikon website)

Status
Not open for further replies.