Pointless to buy now?

Jun 24, 2018
I'm incredibly interested in finally getting into VR, and have a PC that can handle it, no problem. Since the Vive Pro recently came out, though, I'm almost willing to bet other gen 2 hardware is not far behind, perhaps a Vive or Rift 2.0. I'd love to pick up a standard Vive right now, I'm not paying the insane price of the Pro, but is there any point in doing so? Do you think new hardware is comething this year? Next?
I can't find news or updates on it, but it's been my experience companies tend to follow each other in releasing new gear in quick succession.

Solution
Wait? What?! No. :p

The unified standard is being set by Valve, as they are the main distributor of games / software. Right now everybody is playing nice and nobody is really trying to be the different one (proprietary), which is more akin to IBM MicroChannel from back in the day.

Fact is, the industry isn't big enough for any hardware company to go in it alone. This is why all the games are supported across all the platforms. (mostly).

(this is to disagree with WolfShadow.)

--------------------------------------

To your question of BUY / WAIT.

What that comes down to is the release of the HTC Pro Model Kit with v2 Lighthouses and Controllers. News of developers getting the new controllers hit this week.

Article...

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Wait? What?! No. :p

The unified standard is being set by Valve, as they are the main distributor of games / software. Right now everybody is playing nice and nobody is really trying to be the different one (proprietary), which is more akin to IBM MicroChannel from back in the day.

Fact is, the industry isn't big enough for any hardware company to go in it alone. This is why all the games are supported across all the platforms. (mostly).

(this is to disagree with WolfShadow.)

--------------------------------------

To your question of BUY / WAIT.

What that comes down to is the release of the HTC Pro Model Kit with v2 Lighthouses and Controllers. News of developers getting the new controllers hit this week.

Article:
https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-knuckles-release-date-ev2-dev-kit-mass-production/

Now! Let's think about this... new controllers get to Devs, and then 6 months out to mass production. Just in time for Christmas.
If I was HTC and Valve, and wanted to release the HOTTEST TOY of the season, then you are looking at a Christmas release for HTC Pro Kit. Also at that time, they might also package the Wireless accessory as an add-on.

So, should you wait till December or 2019 to buy?
Well, consider that kit will cost you $+1,500 - +$2k if you want wireless. The current Vive Kit costs $500.

My opinion is purchase the Vive and have fun. By the time the next version gets released and if you REALLY want to upgrade then go for it! That stated, the current gen of Vive is going to be supported for a while even if they release the new hottness, because the new Vive doesn't really change the base experience or require anything else from the software.

Hope this helps, and may you enjoy VR! Right now Rec-Room Battle Royale has been very addictive, and my legs hurt from hiding in bushes trying to jump out at people with a shotgun. :)

Solution

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
OH! And one last thing... the question between HTC and Rift come down to if you have the space for room-scale and running cables around.

Personally, I'd go Vive.. but you can do your cost analysis, and that becomes an entire NES vs Sega thing that gets way to personal. Frankly, more people the merrier in VR!

(all stated.. I remember going in AltSpace VR when it was only DK2's, and everybody was a tech-nerd with large amounts of disposable income. I used to just sit and listen to people's conversations discussing the future of the technology.)

Jun 24, 2018

Thanks for the well thought out answer! I didn't think it through enough, obviously, to come out with a holiday release on the Vive Pro, that makes the most sense. Guess the only other question would be cost, but not really a concern at the moment. Guess you're right, I'll just pick up a Vive asap and wait to see how the next gen forms up!

PS, not sure how folks got the idea I was debating between Vive and Rift, I know I mentioned both, but Valve's backing puts me firmly in the Vive camp for now. Plus the knuckles look awesome.