Solved! Polk Audio Subwoofer humming

SirT_1

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
Hello all,

I have a Polk Audio Subwoofer which is about 10 years old (model PSW505) however for some reason it no longer outputs any sound other then this annoying humming sound. When I unplug the yellow audio cable from the subwoofer side the humming stops but as soon as I plug it in it starts again. Not a huge audio guy so would appreciate if anyone had any ideas as to what's causing this or if it's fixable.

Thanks,

Update: I did some more testing and the subwoofer automatically turns on and starts humming when I play music so it must be getting some sort of input right? I'm certain it's not doing anything besides humming, not sure why this I'd.

Solution
I think the problem may be in the signal you are sending to the subwoofer and not the subwoofer itself as you say "When I unplug the yellow audio cable from the subwoofer side the humming stops".

SirT_1

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
I'm going to try the yellow wire first. I don't believe it's the amplifier because if I remove the yellow wire from the amplifier the sub continues humming, it only stops when the cable is removed Subwoofer side. I'll try this and see what happens.