Poor picture quality on Infocus SP61md10 (RCA HD61THW263)

lacroos

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
I have a Infocus SP61md10 (same as RCA HD61THW263). It worked fine for about the first year. Then it started getting darker and has been very dark for the last 18 months. I have adjusted the brightness to maximum. The manual states that when the lamp goes out I will get a 5 flash on the indicater light. This has not happened, so to me this indicates that the projection lamp has not failed. I thought that the projection lamp might get darker as it approaches failure, but after 18 months???? Has anyone experienced this problem (a dark screen, not completely black but a very poor quality picture). Due to the very high price of a new projector lamp, I hesitate to purchase one if the problem could be caused by something else (maybe the ballast, or something else that I can't imagine). I have searched for a bulb only, but have not found one for this TV set.

kwnkitall

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
it's the lamp, remove the front cover, whick snaps on and off.
You will see a door. Look a the lamp to see the condition.
If black or discolored you need to replace.

G

>>> Well judging by the date this question was asked (i.e. 2008), I figure by now you already have a new television...but just in case this helps, it's not the projection lamp. It's actually an expensive little piece of plastic that assists in bending the projected light rays onto the screen that has been burnt (most likely by excessive heat from the light rays).

This normally happens if the TV is running for very long periods. I cant remember what you call the little piece of plastic, but a technician (who thoroughly checks through the television) should be able to know what I'm talking about. The one I have has the same problem so that's how I know (thanks to my technician Ronnie:) ).

At first we thought it was the projection lamp so we replaced it with a new one, however, problem still persisted. I would suggest you have a technician take a look at it (if you haven't already done so) and if at all possible, explain this to him (Re: burnt little piece of plastic) and see what he says.

Hope this helped.