Pop ups - how to remove

gddeluca

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
How to I stop Toms Guide from popping up from the task bar with items it thinks I'm interested in. I never asked for this, I just want it to stop. There seems to be nothing related in Add/Remove programs, so this is running very close to being a virus/trojan.

George

Solution
Toms guides did have that(ask for permission) a while back, you probably click on it without thinking about it.
I have my notifications turn off completely and there another advanced settings in there about running chrome in the background even if the browser windows is close.

gddeluca

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Really? You think I haven't done that already?

If you really have some idea, then post a link to it, don't just say "Go search Google", that's a totally useless reply.

This is NOT a popup in the Browser, this is appearing as a popup from the system tray.

George

rgd1101

Don't

Well, 1) you didn't tell us which browser you are using. not sure what to tell you.

gddeluca

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

gddeluca

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
I'm using Chrome, and as I added to the post, it's not a browser popup, it's a popup coming from the taskbar itself. So SOMETHING is running in the background and issuing the popup. If I click on the popup, it opens a URL in a new browser window. As I said, this is approaching a virus/trojan type infestation.

George

gddeluca

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Looked promising, except when I go into flags (Chrome 55) there is no "Enable Rich Notifications" setting ;-((

It sure looks Chrome related, as it popped up this morning as I started Chrome up. If so, surely something about Tom's Guides would show somewhere in Chrome settings / Extensions / etc. but I can find nothing.

Here's exactly what I'm getting in the lower right screen (http://clients.teksavvy.com/~gddeluca/ebay/TG.jpg)

George

gddeluca

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
OK, I have that set to "Ask when a site wants to show notifications (Recommended)

And I never grant any permissions.

BUT --- When I click on Manage Exceptions - there's a whole bunch of exceptions, NONE of which I ever agreed to! (Including Toms Guides).

So somehow these 'exceptions' are being set without my blessing. By what process? What's the point of setting the "Ask me ... " option when these exceptions are made under the covers.

So ... I'll clean this up. Many thanks for the pointers, but I'd still like an explanation of how this occurred.

Since Toms Guides has obviously been involved in changing this, can someone even attempt to justify sneakily playing with my privacy settings?

George

rgd1101

Don't
Toms guides did have that(ask for permission) a while back, you probably click on it without thinking about it.
I have my notifications turn off completely and there another advanced settings in there about running chrome in the background even if the browser windows is close.

Solution

mikeflores2000

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Problem: How to stop Tom's Guide Notifications appearing in top right corner of Safari Browser for MacBook.
Solution: Click Apple icon on top left of screen, click System Preferences, click Notifications and scroll down to Tom's Guide.

NoraaC

Estimable
May 12, 2015
Using Opera Developer - Ubuntu 16.04 - Enabled this by mistake - settings are similar to Chrome but can't find Toms listed anywhere - In general I like Toms Hardware site but these popups are really annoying. When I click on the popup I am sent to a page with the following message.

Unsubscribing from Web Push Notifications

The page you were looking for could not be found.
To unsubscribe from web push notifications, follow these instructions:
We do not have instructions for your browser at this time

GNM

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

Toms Guide doesn't show up in Notifications. Therefore, it cannot be stopped. We know about Google.

GNM

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

The popups are nothing more than an annoying virus. From the responses, it's clear that I will have to use some sort of malware program to remove them since the site doesn't seem to care.

I will have to look elsewhere to remove the popups since there is no way to get rid of them by asking on the site.

G

To check if it's through Safari, open a window and click safari, then Preferences. Go to the websites tab, then on the left select 'notifications'. Here you'll find all the websites that have asked your permission to send notifications, toms guide is likely to be set to "Allow". My advice is to change this to "deny" then remove it and any others that you don't like the look of!