Solved! Portable Battery Solution For BIG Power Draw

mwr.giannini

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hi all,

I have the ASUS GL502VS-DS71 laptop and I love it. It is a sleek beast between the 1070, the i7-7700, and the 16Gb of DDR4. I am taking it with to school and planning on using it to feed my gaming addiction as well as to run CAD software, type papers, and such. Needless to say, it sucks the life out of its 62Wh battery.
I am fully aware of the implications and expectations that come with owning a gaming laptop and I don't plan on doing any hardcore gaming on the go anytime soon. That being said, I was wondering if there is an effective way to extend the battery life significantly and realistically for less intensive use. I've looked into portable laptop chargers and it seems that very few go beyond 100W at 110v AC and among those are many overpriced products that do not carry a ton of juice. My laptop's power supply brick is 180W but I am not super knowledgeable in electricity and power so I'm not sure if it needs that much all the time. In addition many of the products I looked at were rated in Ah while others were rated in Wh (maybe someone could school me in the arts of power and electricity). Regardless, I am looking for a solution that can deliver enough juice to get me through my lectures (browsing, taking notes, using ebooks, etc.) while staying in the 200$ range preferably (I'll look at more expensive options but I don't have the money at the moment). I do not mind weight as long as it fits in a large backpack and won't send me to a chiropractor.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some insight!

-EmDubyah