Portable diag/troubleshooting apps

suprcharg

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
When I go onsite to a customers house I bring a few little progs, (ie. AVG, Malwarebytes, Registry Mechanic) for diags and such. I was wondering what are some other essential progs that people find useful?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I think its Mcafee that has a little AV prog called stinger that works pretty well.

Sysinternals has process explorer and tcp view that are helpful.
PExplorer is a much better task manager and TCP view is very helpful with network connections.

Barts PE is a downloadable disk that has several different utilities that are helpful when needed.

Sisoft Sandra is a great prog that has served me well. I dont know if you have ever heard of it but it is a system info prog. that gives very detailed info, testing, and benchmarking options.

Another thing that I try to include on my resource disk is a text directory that I keep notes about everything from changing locations of MYDOCS to MS KB articles on how to accomplish different steps.
Also in that I try to keep links to different sites that I find helpful for things like stop error codes and troubl shooting steps.

Im currently in the process of moving those types of files and favs. links to a thumb drive because they change often and I can also add new things to it at the customers place if needed. This way I dont have to write a new disk all of the time as things change.
I am going to still keep the links stored in text format on the disk just in case they have USB problems, but keeping the list up to date on a disk is a pain.

I have some others but the disk isnt here so when I see it Ill try to add to this list.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
My all time favourite is SIW (Standalone free version) by Gabriel Topala.

Just plug in and run from your USB flash drive (or any external device) to get a very comprehensive hardware breakdown. It's truly a gem. I couldnt say how many times it has saved me from venturing into the void that is the PC casing with a miners hat and magnifying glass.

Just perfect if you need to search for drivers and need to know the make(s) and model(s) of the internal hardware.

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

It also identifies and displays much much more.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
That looks like a pretty good one.
I had never heard of it before, but I am going to give it a try.
It seems pretty small and would be great on a help disk.

EDIT: Hey BTK1W1 I get a not valid 32 bit app in Vista after downloading it from that link.
Is there a trick?
When I get a few minutes Ill boot back to XP and try it.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Heya pat,

I've used the program on XP, Vista and 7 & 7 x64. I've never seen the not valid error message before though.

I've just had a look at their forum and the only recommendation was to download again. I hope this works.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Ok that worked I must have got a bad download.

It does have a lot of info, Im going to have to look into it some more but the kids are behind me and its Sunday so guess what they want.
Thanks

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Well Pat I'm stumped,

my guess is the little ones have heard the ice cream truck approaching, alerted you of the fact, and are tugging at the shirt tails while you are ordering extra sprinkles??? Lol... the joys of parenthood.

There's another app called belarc which is meant to be very good. Less comprehensive but details all the info on less screen space. I've never tried it so can't vouch for it except for its authenticity.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Ok I got a good look at the prog and I like it.
It has lots of info.
Im definatly going to be using it on my portable disk.

Ive seen Belarc many years ago but I dont remember much about it.
Everest also has one but I havent used that one at all.

Its a good thing that your wife is there to help you along.
I would hate to see you be led astray. Ha Ha.