Portable laptop for college

Mattc23

Honorable
May 8, 2013
Looking for a portable laptop for college next year. Preferably screen size 14' and under. Want pretty thin and at least 3 hours long battery life. weigh less than 4lbs.Need at least 4GB RAM and a 300 GB HArd Drive. Prefer windows 7 but wouldn't be to opposed to windows 8. Budget is about $600. Looking at the following: Acer aspire s3, Asus vivobook 11.6, toshiba satellite U945, dell Inspiron 13z/14z, Sony vaio t series (have read how loud they are), and I was set on the Lenovo ideapad U310 until I read about the infamous wifi problems and I don't want to deal with that. Any suggestions are appreciated.

nevilence

Honorable
May 8, 2012
You need a bit more info, as in do you plan to do any gaming, resource intensive programms or just a MS office/internet machine. That will help narrow your requirements

Mattc23

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I would use it for mostly schoolwork. I will be studying engineering and th requirements I listed above are the ones provided by the university. Idk if anything in my price range will run CAD or other engineering programs but I figured I'd use the school labs for those. I don't play games on my laptop so the only other things I would use it for would be music, movies, web browsing, word processing, and other Microsoft office
Programs.

With those system specs/demands you won't be able to squeeze out a whole lot of 'umph' from the laptop, but if you only need it for basic tasks, you'll find the ultrabooks/ultra portable series of any OEM within your realm of demand. Know that most of them will probably push Windows 8 on you though (although you can install Windows 7 if you like).