Possible False Negatives?? help

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hello,

I am just curious because i have recently had to reinstall windows 7, and i ran all the relevant updates.

I ran a scan with Malwarebytes and it reported nothing, which i thought there wouldn't be since i did a clean install of windows 7, anyway i ran a scan with IOBit 360 security and it reported a trogan agent.

the file was 'THOCR.PSP', found in the folder 'C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002119F20000000000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518' when i went to the folder entry i also saw a file 'THOCRAPI.DLL' which i thought must surely be linked to the one found by IOBit so how come the .DLL wasn't flagged aswell?

anyway considering i have not downloaded anything apart from the windows update, and service packs for office 2007, is this just a false negative? or should i remove it?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

burrellbuzzman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
thats what i thought, i left the dll. but the THOCR.PSP file was flagged up as a trogan agent!? i don't know i just deleted it anyway... i don't even use one note, although maybe not the best course of action! also this IObit 360 flagged a .png and .gif file in temporary internet files one was a backdoor agent and i forget the other. but the thing that confuses me is how come malwarebytes, defender, avg scan, and ad aware not pick up these 'threats' i deleted them aswell... but the thing that annoys me about this all is that i don't use this computer for dodgy dealings so the fact a piece of software is flagging files as threats and every other software isn't flagging them up makes me angry! because i haven't downloaded anything that i shouldn't! so i guess maybe they were just false positives....

I also went to IObit forum aswell, baring in mind i haven't had any problems in the past i didn't know what to do if these 'threats' were viruses. so one of the lovely mediators started lecturing me on what i should have done! well i know for next time.

thanks for your help rob