Possible laptops for cheaper all-purpose use?

Kcin

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
Hi,

Looking for a machine which is easy to handle (last used macbook pro 15'; Liked its track pad and keyboard) and will be used for the following tasks: Moderate Microsoft Office use (excel, powerpoint, word, email), Web surfing / live sport streaming and occasional 'older' gaming (if possible; aka AoE, Total War, Dawn of War, etc).

Simply put laptop will be backup/non-professional machine to be used on my travels and regularly at home.

Cost: < $500
OP System: Windows 'Any'
Size: > 15"

Major Considerations:
Battery Life, Weight, Cost.

Minor Considerations:
'Strength*', Aesthetics, Ease of Use, Size, Durability.

No Opinion:
Display, Brand**, Disc Drives / Ports (only need 2 USB and TV Connection), Tablet status.

*:Any half reasonable HD/Graphics/Ram that allows me game occasionally on older games and stream live sports to external monitors will do.
**: Don't care about brands however Dell, HP and Lenovo would be moderately preferable.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated,
Cheers

Solution
I have had great success and satisfaction with used Lenovo thinkpads.
The thinkpad keyboards are outstanding.
Look for one with limited ram and a small hard drive. One that includes the OS of your choice. I like windows 7.
Plan on updating the ram to 4gb or better and replacing the hard drive with a ssd. It is the ssd that is key to snappy performance.

I updated a R61 laptop bought on ebay for $68, added 2gb of ram and a 120gb ssd for a total outlay of under <$200
Check Lenovo outlet, ebay, amazon, newegg for refurb units.

geofelt

Distinguished
I have had great success and satisfaction with used Lenovo thinkpads.
The thinkpad keyboards are outstanding.
Look for one with limited ram and a small hard drive. One that includes the OS of your choice. I like windows 7.
Plan on updating the ram to 4gb or better and replacing the hard drive with a ssd. It is the ssd that is key to snappy performance.

I updated a R61 laptop bought on ebay for $68, added 2gb of ram and a 120gb ssd for a total outlay of under <$200
Check Lenovo outlet, ebay, amazon, newegg for refurb units.

Solution