Post malware cleanup

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
I have had someone help me remove a browser hijack malware. The problem is after being told to reset Internet Explorer settings the search providers and default homepage have not been fixed. The person helping thinks this ok but I think he is wrong would like another opinion.

Some pics here explaining situation..

Untitled4.png

Untitled5.png

nick_53

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hey kol, go to Internet Options, click the Programs tab and set IE as you default browser, then click the General tab and delete the homepage that is listed, and type in the homepage url you wish, such as www.google.com, then click apply. after that I would run a disk check just to be certain .

Your first screenshot is all normal. Where you've marked "blanked out" is supposed to be an empty space anyhow (IE9 & later), so nothing wrong there. To confirm, check IE9 or later on a friends computer, you'll see it's normal.
I have the same as shown in your screenshot on both my computers, and they definitely have never been hit by a browser hijack, I'm too careful for that to happen.

Now, as for your second screenshot. Ignore the "Use Default" button. Manually type the web-address of your preferred Home Page in the white text-box, then click "OK" to save and close that options box.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
Hmm, I think something in the registry is still wrong, i have manually entered a homepage and then tried using the use default button again and it sets it to about:blank

I'm pretty sure the use default button should set it to msn not about:blank..