Poster Printing how does it work?

thegussbus123

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
Found an image on the internet resolution 1920x1080 and i wish to frame. Can i simply send it off to the printing company?
What factor do i have to consider during this process?

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012

There's a ton of stuff.

1. Copyright. You might be dead in the water, unless the author of the image is willing to grant you a written slip saying you can. Even creative-commons work can be awkward, as it often prohibits commercial copying - which is what the service printing it would be doing. Your role doesn't matter in the equation, it's what they do that does. I worked at Staples for quite some time, and our copy center won't even touch copyrighted material. Not many online officially will, either. Maybe a Chinese printer would - they fly pretty loose with copyright, but it's still problematic.

2. The DPI on the image. Higher DPIs print much nicer, particularly if it's getting blown up. The more data the computer has to improvise to scale the image up to size, the worse it is going to look.

3. Make sure you look at it from a few monitors. Your calibration is not likely 100% on point, and the colours will be altered. As an example, I once sent a skin off to print for a laptop, but it was very unsaturated vs. my monitor's image. Turns out its 'true' colours were very bland.

4. Aspect ratio. Will it match with the poster? Are you OK with a border or trimming the border? Any deviation from its native aspect ratio will result in stretching or a distorted image.

thegussbus123

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015

Ok thanks given me a lot to think about.

most stores now like walmart can do posters in house. ask for there sample paper there two type of main paper glossy and matte see if you like your poster shiny or dull. most internet photos and mems are low res images and if you try and blow one of them up it just go fuzzy. you need a free imaging program like gimp to change the photo size without it blurring out. walmart has a list or used to of things they wont reprint.