Potential Laptop GPU problem?

Critikal

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
Hello everyone, my laptop is an XPS L521X with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10GHz and my graphics card is GeForce GT 640M. When I run dxdiag, my directX says that my driver is the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. However, I do not really know why it is saying this and I want to know how I can change it such that the GeForce GT 640M pops up. I also want to check to see if this graphics card is dead/functional. I do not really believe it is since when I first got it, it could run WoW on high settings, however it is now struggling to run WoW in even low settings and I want to remedy this issue. Thanks for you help!

D

Deleted member 1697763

Go to both the nvidia and intel websites and go to the drivers sections - get the latest ones for the gt640m and hd4000 and run the exe's to extract and install them.

D

Deleted member 1697763

Reinstalling the drivers basically means you are reinstalling the software that runs your gpu - sometimes doing this solves problems like this.

D

Deleted member 1697763

Run 3dmark and post your results - I will compare it with the averages for your card and then tell you :)

D

Deleted member 1697763

Your graphics look a little on the low side - which games are you running that have low framerates, did they do this before or has this only started now? Also, it would be worth running a virus scan.

Critikal

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
WoW and steam games for the most part. It didnt when I first got my laptop but after a year or so it started being really bad. Which virus scan thing should I use that is free? I do not really know which ones are good or not.