Power bank for speaker?

jammiedodgers

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Hi,

I bought a single speaker and put it on the shelf, but the problem is the mains wire can be seen and it looks ugly.

I was thinking of replacing the mains with a "power bank" that I could just tuck behind the speaker and out of sight, which would look much prettier. The speaker is blue-tooth, by the way, so I don't have to worry about concealing any other wires, just the mains lead.

I would like to know if this is possible? Has anyone tried using a power bank for a speaker before? The speaker is the "Audioengine B2".

The connection on the mains behind the speaker is 2-pin, so I imagine I would need some kind of converter from usb to 2-pin if a power bank did work. I've looked for those on Amazon with no luck, I'm not sure they even exist.

Thanks.

Solution
If the speaker is designed to be AC-powered, you would need an inverter of some sort to step up your 5V DC to 100+V AC. That sort of setup would be bulky and inefficient.

The simpler option would be to poke a small hole in the back of your shelf and pass the cord through that.

InvalidError

Distinguished
If the speaker is designed to be AC-powered, you would need an inverter of some sort to step up your 5V DC to 100+V AC. That sort of setup would be bulky and inefficient.

The simpler option would be to poke a small hole in the back of your shelf and pass the cord through that.

Solution

jammiedodgers

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Hey, thanks for your replies guys, I thought as much my little idea would not work. I didn't want to drill into the shelving unit (it's an independent standing one) in case I ever wanted to sell it in the future. Well, guess I'll have to if I want to hide that pesky mains lead. I wish I'd gone for a truly bluetooth portable speaker now, with rechargeable battery.

Thanks again.

InvalidError

Distinguished
If you were a more hackerish type, you could take the speaker apart, measure the voltage output from the built-in AC-DC adapter and possibly bypass it with external batteries or an external AC-DC adapter with thinner wires that are easier to hide or require a much smaller hole.

jammiedodgers

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

That sounds great, but unfortunately I'm not the hacker-type. :(

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Cheers.