Power Loader Exoskeleton Inspired by Aliens

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I thought they would have done this long ago. I do however think the only reason why we have not seena suit like this is becuase the brainiacs overthink the whole idea too much. Just build one like they had in the movie. It was be a great cargo loader vs a normal fork lift for tight spots.

As far as the weight goes. There will always be a need for counter balance when lifting stuff. They should just make a suit that you can add counterweights to like the big cranes.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
"The one they had in the movie" was a series of several marionette props and stop-motion models with limited functions for different shots that couldn't lift a toddler. Getting something that's created entirely in special effects in the real world really does take "brainiacs."
And I bet the forklift is actually better because it can lift pallets straight up, for a considerable distance.

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
But what is also obvious is that this robot suit can't stand on its own, requiring a larger metal frame and support straps keeping the machine and human upright.

i think it's more they don't want their multi-million dollar prototype falling over and killing the operator more so than it requires tethering. what good is a fork lift with a tether?

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
+1 for coolness

-1 for lack of creativity
-1 for epic fial in execution

this is honestly not much more then a robotic arm with user control, its not standalone and less mobile then a forklift or anyother type of robotic control'd arm. The only inovation is a person standing inside the device instead of in a control room or behind it...and even that is basicly stolen from a movie.

G

The US Military already has one of these developed to a point that it can support its self be worn by an operator and lift heavy loads. Last I knew it used an umbilicle power cord and that was the last hurdle to overcome. I believe that it is a joint venture with MIT out of the Army development center in Massachusetts.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rrlundbo[/nom]The US Military already has one of these developed to a point that it can support its self be worn by an operator and lift heavy loads. Last I knew it used an umbilicle power cord and that was the last hurdle to overcome. I believe that it is a joint venture with MIT out of the Army development center in Massachusetts.[/citation]
Yup, the US army one is definitely more mobile, but I'm not sure how they compare in ability to carry heavy loads. I think this one can hold more, but I'm only guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.