Power output from a phone?

Onelius

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Hello everyone, I have recently been using my phone and laptop to test speakers using a 3.5mm cable. I have noticed that my phone makes the speakers louder than my laptop. I have also noticed that my laptop's headphone port is somewhat louder than my line out port. The only problem is that the volume has to be set to max for the speakers to have decent volume. I'm wondering how much power the phone (htc one if it matters) is actually outputting to get an idea of what sort of amplifier I should be looking for. I'm also wondering if a desktop could output more power than the phone, and if there would be a power difference between the motherboard sound outputs and a pci soundcard's outputs. Thanks in advance.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
The Line level output is set to an industry standard level and in theory should be the same no matter which equipment you use which is why you can happily connect different makes of cd player to amplifier for example.
The headphone output is set according to the particular manufacturer and is difficult to estimate in advance unless they give you full specs which is very rare.
Any powered computer speakers should be plugged into the Line output as they are designed with a Line input,connecting to an overpowerful headphone output could lead to distortion and in extreme cases even damage,though the headphone level on phones or computers is not a problem as they tend to be only slightly above Line level.

a set of powered speakers would solve the problem. a set like the z313 from logitech is all you need.

i'd recommend a fio portable amp since that would work however only low end pc speakers are unpowered and you might blow them. also the fio costs much more than using a z313.

as makkem suggested the headphone jack output can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer while the line-out should be constant. keep in mind that if you have an equalizer running on the phone it will affect the outcome as well.

Onelius

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

Well, about the Z313's, I actually have about 8 speakers that I'm looking to power. Since none of them are particularly high end, I was considering buying an amp in the $20-$25 range.

Onelius

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

I was considering buying a chinese amp from ebay or amazon, or a HT receiver for $50 tops.

edit: For this particular, I guess you could call it project, I don't mind used. Infact, I won't find a new receiver under $50

Onelius

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

only problem with that is, i'm trying to amplify speakers, not a headset. also, that's way over what i would be willing to pay for something like that. i was thinking of something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379983384&sr=8-2&keywords=lp2020

or

http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-168HA-40-Watt-Amplifier-Output/dp/B0070Z87YO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379983432&sr=8-1&keywords=lp168ha