Poweramp Problem...maybe dead? :/

Marko_983

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
Ok, here's the deal.
One day I came in my music room and turned on my pa system which consists of Soundcraft Spirit SX 12, Castone CPA800 Power Amplifier, and speakers. My band used this PA throughout a long period of time and had no problems with it whatsoever. Back to the issue! When I turned on the power amp instead of "ready" led, the "clip" led was on and the speakers made a low volume noise. So the amp doesn't react at all. No matter which device is used on input. Doesn't matter how much the volume is turned on. The clipping led is always on ad the noise is always present.
So my question is, what could be the problem with it?

Solution
Hi
The most common failure point in power amps is the output transistors,these will be connected to a heatsink which will be cooled by the fan.You will need to inspect these visually for signs of heating .If there are no visible signs then the transistors will need to be removed and checked for shorts/open circuit with a multimeter .
The second most likely failure point is the power supply and you should inspect the capacitors for any sign of bulging or leakage and then check the voltages with a multimeter but only if you are confident on working on live equipment.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
The most common failure point in power amps is the output transistors,these will be connected to a heatsink which will be cooled by the fan.You will need to inspect these visually for signs of heating .If there are no visible signs then the transistors will need to be removed and checked for shorts/open circuit with a multimeter .
The second most likely failure point is the power supply and you should inspect the capacitors for any sign of bulging or leakage and then check the voltages with a multimeter but only if you are confident on working on live equipment.

Solution