Powerful laptop hot, noisy and low fps

cooldanman

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Hi,

I've had this laptop for 3 years now and never had any problems with it. When I first got it, it was outstanding. However, I went to university and didn't use it for 8 months or so and it was just turned off. I've started using it again and its very hot, very loud and the fps in any game is now very low. Simply just opening google chrome causes the laptop to become very loud.

The specs are as follows:

Processor (CPU) - Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Extreme i7-4940MX (3.10GHz) 8MB

Memory (RAM) - 32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X IMPACT 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (4 x 8GB)

Graphics Card - 2 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX®11

1st Hard Disk - 480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR |
450MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk - 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

Operating System - Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1

Right now I am in balanced power mode and with just google chrome open the cpu usage is 3-4%, memory usage is 5.92GB and in the resource monitor I sit around 24-26% maximum frequency. I have tried putting the laptop into high performance mode and the maximum frequency goes up, however, the performance isn't really any better.

My core temps are between 72C - 76C right now and sometimes shoot up to 90C on Core#2.

I did a Heaven benchmark on highquality 1920x1080 fullscreen and got the results:

FPS: 20.2
Score: 510
Min FPS: 12.3
Max FPS: 41.7

Any help to get this back on the right track would be great. It seems the problem could definitely be overheating but how could I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
On laptop there is nothing you can do of the heat but if the laptop is many months old i am sure its heatsinks are blocked by dust which result in heat up of CPU and you can change its thermal paste too

nitinvaid20

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
On laptop there is nothing you can do of the heat but if the laptop is many months old i am sure its heatsinks are blocked by dust which result in heat up of CPU and you can change its thermal paste too

Solution