Powering camera using USB power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skedgy Sky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I want to power my camera using USB power.

The camera is a Canon S95 and takes 3.7V (1000mAh) batteries which read an output voltage of about 4.1 when charged.

I want to keep the camera on for a long period of time so is it safe for me to use a few resistors (which I did) and decrease the USB output voltage to 4.1 and power the camera that way?

Will this cause damage to the camera?

Do milliamps also play some role in this that I haven't yet considered?

Solution
Capacity is in Amp-hours. 100 Amp-hours could be 1 Amp for 100 hours OR 100 Amps for 1 hour (not a linear relationship).

Somewhere on your camera or in the manual, the Watts may be stated. This is a better indication for the Amp draw. In DC circuits, Watts = Amps X Voltage. From this you can do the calculations.

Skedgy Sky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I kind of already figured that.

I'm just wondering if powering a camera using an external power source means that a certain amperage is needed and if using more than the amperage of the batteries would cause damage to the camera.

When you know it is not working, stop! Clearly, more amps are required than the USB port can supply. Why find out whether damage could happen?

Skedgy Sky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Well I don't really want to know if it'll get damaged; I don't want to damage it.

I'm trying to find out how many amps the power source needs to be able to power the camera (since I want the camera on for long periods of time).

If the batteries for this camera have a capacity of around 1000mAh (and output around 4v), does that mean I need a power supply that outputs around 4 volts at 1 amps? Does amperage work the same way for batteries as it does for regular dc power supplies?

Capacity is in Amp-hours. 100 Amp-hours could be 1 Amp for 100 hours OR 100 Amps for 1 hour (not a linear relationship).

Somewhere on your camera or in the manual, the Watts may be stated. This is a better indication for the Amp draw. In DC circuits, Watts = Amps X Voltage. From this you can do the calculations.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS