Premium Notebook vendor

Status
Not open for further replies.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

Just asking what Notebook brand you feel is premium.
What I'm looking for is a non-reflective screen, speakers at least above average - just good overall quality.
Not Dell, can't just buy one in a store. Not Acer, mine lasted me a good long time, but the screen is so highly glossy & reflective I can't use it outdoors AND the speakers are very weak - even for a small notebook. Not Alienware - I'm sure they are good, but I don't need to spend $3000 for a low-end rig.
Some brands like to put in super-sucky integrated graphics and super slow hard-drives, but that's ok because I'll check what's inside before I buy it - I'll also plan to upgrade the RAM, HDD, etc.

Any ideas will be nice, thanks!

Solution
The term for a non-glossy screen you're looking for is matte.
And you most often find them in the business class laptops. They need to be able to deal with adverse office lighting where consumer laptops go for the brighter (and more relective) glossy screens. The thought is that consumer laptop owners are able to adjust the lighting while business type environments have little control over the office lighting.

Lenovo Thinkpad and Dell Latitude would be examples where 14" matte screen LCDs are readily available.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Ok,
Let me be more specific..
For example, I had a old Dell notebook before. It had an "Ultra Sharp" display. That actually had a very black non-reflective screen that I can view during the daytime.
From reading your post, it seems all brands have a budget and premium models. So, is there a general name for a non-glossy screen and better than mediocre speakers? I can search for that keyword..
I'm trying to compare low-end 14" to high-end 14", not 12" vs. 15.6"

thanks!

The term for a non-glossy screen you're looking for is matte.
And you most often find them in the business class laptops. They need to be able to deal with adverse office lighting where consumer laptops go for the brighter (and more relective) glossy screens. The thought is that consumer laptop owners are able to adjust the lighting while business type environments have little control over the office lighting.

Lenovo Thinkpad and Dell Latitude would be examples where 14" matte screen LCDs are readily available.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.