Presario r3000 power up

gryphon

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
I have a Compaq Presario r3000 laptop that stopped working out of the blue. Now when I hit the power button the power lights flash but it will not power up. Could a bad fan be the problem or is it something else.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Look up your owner's manual and see if your blinking power light (if it's doing that) is an error code for something. A notebook that doesn't power on usually has larger problems than bad memory.

gryphon

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
I don't think its a error light ....its not really blinking it just acts like its starting to boot up then the light goes out. I'll check tho.

kenzz0

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Maybe the power plug on mainboard got dry joints therefore battery was n ot charged anymore and without knowing you have used the unit until the battery went flat and now when you try to power up light is flashing indicating a flat battery whilethe power adapter is plugged for nothing as the power plug is dry jointed. Have to dismantle the unit, inspect the power plug and clean / resolder

rpeters83

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007

This problem is common for these presario laptops. My last one was an r3360. luckily its plug was fine, but on r3000forums.com it was quite common, as the plug is soldered directly onto the board.