Price Cut Helps PS3 Sales Jump in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Shnur[/nom]and the PlayStation 2 is still strong on selling..[/citation]
Oh Crap!!!
My ps2 just broke down. Looks like i'll need to buy a ps3 this time. But I wont be able to play MGS3 or God of War 2 or Resident Evil 4 on it. Which is cheaper? PS2? Fond memories. PS2 wins for now:)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Sorry wrong citation
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]Why would anyone still buying ps2?[/citation]
Oh Crap!!!
My ps2 just broke down. Looks like i'll need to buy a ps3 this time. But I wont be able to play MGS3 or God of War 2 or Resident Evil 4 on it. Which is cheaper? PS2? Fond memories. PS2 wins for now:)

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
PS2 is still selling due to it being $99 and there are 1000+ games. Aren't most console buyers the parents, not the kids? They don't know any better.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The PS2 is still a pretty good console, especially at $100 or less.

For many kids, its still more than enough in terms of horse power (still more powerful than a Wii).

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]war2k9[/nom]Why would anyone still buying ps2?[/citation]

I agree with you, Why people buy something so outdated, let see because they still have PS2 games and PS3 is not BC?... so does that mean that i shouldn't buy a DVD or a Blu-ray player because i still have my VHS movies and I won't be able to watch them? NOOOO. People as technology move forward you should move to. ditch that old thing and move on. Can anybody back me up here!!!!

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]The PS2 is still a pretty good console, especially at $100 or less.For many kids, its still more than enough in terms of horse power (still more powerful than a Wii).[/citation]

Good point of view if it come down to buying something for my girls and I didn't game at all, I would buy the PS2 is cheap and many games enough horsepower for them too. But I don't get that excuse of because I still have PS2 games I think people should move on.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pito[/nom]because I still have PS2 games I think people should move on.[/citation]Move on to what?! You can't play the PS2 games on anything but a PS2! Why spend $300 on something and still need to shell out more $ for games when you can get a PS2 for $100 and $200+ worth of games that are all $20 or less but still great games.

But of course I'm looking at this from the stand point of someone who buys games for storyline and game play not ZOMG PRETTY.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
If a PS3 was backwards compatible, I'd buy one, but it's not. I don't see why a consumer should be forced to upgrade and lose the option to use old games. It doesn't make sense. Sure, people should utilize new tech, this just isn't the way to go about it. I'm not sure how much extra it would be to add the emulator chip, but then I'd get one and I'm sure many others would as well.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Move on to what?!

Move on.. forget the PS2 is outdated, did you read my whole post? you don't own a DVD because it can't play VHS? yes they are grate games but did you pass on the Super NES because it wasn't BC people are making a big deal about the PS3 not being BC, forget that old thing and move on. Once you move on you wont look back, at least that is what happen to me from PSX to PS2 when I went back to play MGS1 i couldn't take the lame graphics compare to the PS2. so in theory BC is good, but I'll never use it.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Why are people in such a tizzy about the lack of BC for PS2? 99.9% of PS3 owners already own a PS2. No BC? Don't unplug your PS2! It's like people feel they can only have one console plugged in at a time. I don't remember this BC thing being a problem back when the SNES came out and it sure as hell didn't have BC for the NES. What? Neither did the Nintendo 64 or Game Cube? This is madness! Grow up people and quit yer bit©hin. The PS3 is $299. No more excuses.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom] I don't see why a consumer should be forced to upgrade

Its called "advance in technology" just like you have to upgrade a TV and buy HDMI cables to be able to get HD picture and 7.1 audio. Did you also refuse to buy a Game cube because you had to many SNES games. I need a count of how many people still play the 1st Halo from the original Xbox? when they can play Halo 3. How many play Madden 2002? when we are about to enter 2010. Once again people are making a big deal about BC in a PS3. Good feature but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Sony makes so much money of the PS2 right now, it's been out what now, 8 years? I wonder how much each PS2 costs to manufacture. It's not a secret why the PS3 stopped BC with PS2 games. After the 10 year cycle and the extra year or two they add to the PS2, we'll finally see the backwards compatibility come back, but it's honestly a smart move to wait till then. I'd also like to believe that the PS2 will be sold until the PS3 becomes profitable. It seems to be the counter-balance to the loss on the PS3 per system. I'm not sure of course, but it's a pretty good guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.