Problem: Toslink out of HDMI to receiver

Sarkarlos

Estimable
May 12, 2014
Greetings,

I am trying to get digital audio out of my computer and into an old receiver that does not support HDMI. My motherboard does not have any optical out, so I decided to pick up a little device that takes HDMI in and then spits it back out along with an optical out and RCA L/R out.

After running an HDMI cable from my computer to the device and the optical cable from the device to my receiver, I ran into a problem. In the sound playback settings (Windows 8.1) it says that the HDMI is not plugged in.

If I completely forgot some important step, please point it out :D I am completely stumped, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Possibly useful information:
- The HDMI splitter device is called J-Tech HDMI 2.1ch/5.1ch Audio Extractor. Bought it on Amazon, so just plug that name into the search bar on Amazon and you should be able to find it.

Solution
I have done the exact same thing!! I have an HDMI splitter as well (got it on ebay) and am outputting the HDMI audio to the splitter, then running the TOSlink cable to my receiver...

I AM connecting to a projector (for the video), so my PC doesn't tell me it's not plugged in - it tells me the device is stereo only... I suspect that the splitter isn't detected as a 5.1 device... wondering if anyone has found a workaround?

Pondering a way to "trick" my card (nvidia 880m) into thinking the device is a 5.1 device...

SquidSurprise

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2014
I have done the exact same thing!! I have an HDMI splitter as well (got it on ebay) and am outputting the HDMI audio to the splitter, then running the TOSlink cable to my receiver...

I AM connecting to a projector (for the video), so my PC doesn't tell me it's not plugged in - it tells me the device is stereo only... I suspect that the splitter isn't detected as a 5.1 device... wondering if anyone has found a workaround?

Pondering a way to "trick" my card (nvidia 880m) into thinking the device is a 5.1 device...

Solution

SquidSurprise

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2014
Ok... So this counts as "solving" this question!?!?

I simply posted a similar problem!

I did end up solving it by purchasing an external sound card - was the only way I could get 5.1 sound :(