Problem with moving Apps to sdcard on Huawei y5

mothobimichael

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Am currently using Huawei y5 2017 and I am unable to format memory card as 'internal storage' so I could move some Apps there. I went through settings>Advance settings>memory&storage>sdcard and I didn't get option for formatting ' as internal storage' . So how do I get to that point where I'll be able to use it as internal storage?

Solution
Well the only way I know of to do it is described below. So if yours doesn't have that option in it, or doesn't have the 3 dot menu, then it may well have been changed by the manufacturer. No news there, it is done on many devices. There is no way around it that I know of without rooting the device, which I would not recommend.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that...
Well the only way I know of to do it is described below. So if yours doesn't have that option in it, or doesn't have the 3 dot menu, then it may well have been changed by the manufacturer. No news there, it is done on many devices. There is no way around it that I know of without rooting the device, which I would not recommend.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow" a.k.a. 6.0.

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat" a.k.a. 7.0.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution

mothobimichael

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Thank you so much for your response however it is my believe that if it's Android 6.0 it 'ought' to be Marshmallow---in short it's 6.0 Android version. I followed all the steps but my problem emanates from the fact that instead of giving me an option of formatting it as 'internal storage' it gives to only format it not as internal...it also looks like sdcard is working 'separately' with the phone because when I choose it after formatting it requires me to reboot the phone. Could this mean it has been restricted by the manufacturer not to work as internal storage?

imjaycameron

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
The Huawei y5 2017 does not have the option of formatting the sd card as "internal storage" so like the original y5 I also owned this was possible to use Apps2SD Pro to move apps to the SD card, and I never had to do anything like formatting in the storage options.... there must be a way. Even if rooting is the only way, can someone point to detailed instructions for this....16gb of internal storage is just not enough for all the apps required to use a fone to its full potential!

Thanks in advance
@code_collective
[ad link removed]

Rooting is a risky choice. Hence why I do not mention it as an option. It would void any warranty the device has, and you risk bricking your device. However, should you wish to try it, you can find step by step instructions on how all over the net. Just do a quick search.

Aug 15, 2018

Did you discover a way to do it?