problem with pc to av receiver to pc monitor

willdew

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014
Hello guys ^^
i have recently bought a receiver. i am planning to use it as a surround gaming system, where i run my pc through the av receiver and then into a pc monitor but i have a problem: my pc dosent recognize the receiver as a monitor and i dont really know where the problem is ;(

i hope u can help :)

the receiver is btw a denon avr-500 and the monitor a benq rl2455hm

Solution
okay.

when you were not using the receiver... were you connected to the same hdmi port you are now using to export to the receiver?

do you have the receiver and monitor on first before you power on the pc?

have you tried connecting through lets say... hdmi1 on the receiver instead of game?

can you double check that the cables work fine by using both of them without the receiver? perhaps one is faulty.

are you sure that you have all of your inputs (on receiver and on monitor) set correctly?

you mention that you set the passthrough option to yes on the receiver. did you set this up on the faceplate or on the on screen display? if through on screen display how did you see it if your monitor isnt working? osd mode also changes your...

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
there is no need to pass the video through the receiver. I have a Yamaha receiver at home and run a optic cable between the computer and receiver. then just run the video cable from the computer to the monitor.

first let me make note of a few things:

the ideal way to use a receiver with a pc is to use video passthrough on the receiver. this means a hdmi out of the pc (or dvi-to-hdmi cable works too) which goes to the receiver input and then the receiver hdmi output goes to the tv or monitor. why is this the best way? quite simply because hdmi supports uncompressed sound for 5.1.

i personally use this method for hooking up my own system. i use a tv instead of a monitor and i use a dvi-to-hdmi cable instead (since my video card doesnt support a full sized hdmi plug and i got a free cable with my video card) and i have zero issues. honestly i'd consider this the ideal way if you only have one monitor/tv and its not any more than 60hz input.

you could run hdmi out of your video card to the monitor and output either spdif optical or coax to the receiver from your soundcard/onboard as well however this is only limited to 2.1 uncompressed. to run surround sound it will need to be compressed such as in Dolby Digital Live format. basically this boils down to less quality sound (although still good) and a few instances where you might run into problems with some audio formats. if you dont have spdif optical or coax (the coax looks like an orange rca jack normally) then you would need a soundcard

now... with that out of the way.. as far as i can tell that monitor is 60hz. 120hz/240hz wouldnt play nice with your home theater receiver but this monitor should.

the computer should automatically detect your display at the end of the chain of cables if you have things hooked up correctly. keep in mind that you may need to start the system out from an off state, connect things up and then start it up. for sound, make sure the receiver is the default audio device in playback devices (right click sound icon on taskbar)

please specify what your issue is... are you not getting video or audio?

also make sure that your monitor is set to the right input (the hdmi port you are plugged into on the monitor) and the receiver is set to the right input (the hdmi port the pc is plugged into)

you may also want to note the rest of your pc specs (most important are the mobo and/or video card) as well as if you have the most recent graphics card drivers.

willdew

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014
ok, i'm pretty sure i have set something wrong up in the receiver. i have set the passthrough option to yes but i cant really seem to find the problem. i'm using a asus g73sw laptop with Nvidia geforce gtx 460 video card. i have also checked that all the connections is set up right so... yeah. is there anything else i should set up on the receiver?

thank you for the very detailed and nice answer :)

willdew

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014
oops, sorry. well the problem is that i dont get any video from the computer to the monitor. i have connected them like this:

PC >> Game hdmi input on receiver >> to monitor through the monitor hdmi output on the receiver

okay.

when you were not using the receiver... were you connected to the same hdmi port you are now using to export to the receiver?

do you have the receiver and monitor on first before you power on the pc?

have you tried connecting through lets say... hdmi1 on the receiver instead of game?

can you double check that the cables work fine by using both of them without the receiver? perhaps one is faulty.

are you sure that you have all of your inputs (on receiver and on monitor) set correctly?

you mention that you set the passthrough option to yes on the receiver. did you set this up on the faceplate or on the on screen display? if through on screen display how did you see it if your monitor isnt working? osd mode also changes your input to the receiver so would need to be swapped back to the input you are using.

do you get sound ie your windows start up sounds?

once the system is up and running does turning off/on the monitor do anything to bring the display up? sometimes the order which you turn things on matters because of the "hdmi handshake" which occurs. also does restarting your pc with the display and receiver on already do anything different?

Solution

willdew

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014
thanks dude :D
sorry for not answering i have been on a vacation.
i just tried to change some settings and then started it up the way that you suggested and now it works!
thank you so much ;D