Problems with a repurposed, powered sub

rtcarey

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
I installed an audio system in my garage and backyard recently. Yamaha receiver (202 with BT), Yamaha 150s mounted in the rafters inside the garage, and 350s mounted outside the garage facing the backyard. Everything sounds great, but I needed a little more low-end. I had a sub from a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system that I wasn't currently using. I ended up connecting it to the receiver via a 1/4 to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter. I plugged in the Klip 2.1 in my house to test it before bringing the sub to the garage. Sounded just as amazing as the day I purchased it. After bringing it out and connecting it to my receiver in the garage, it just sounded horrible. Seems to bottom out at relatively low volumes. Lots of vibration. I did notice that when I put pressure on the enclosure, it seems to help (a little), so I had my toddler son sit on it while I messed with a few settings. It was very slightly better.

I should mention that I think this is the original Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (THX), so it's probably over 10 years old. Any ideas? I was going to bringing the dedicated satellites out and see if it still sounds like it did inside, or if anything changed since I tested it. I was thinking about purchasing a replacement sub (speaker only) and swapping it out, but don't want to go through that trouble if it's something else that I'm not missing.

Something else to note, I have to keep the volume and sub level extremely low on the Klipsch 2.1 preamp which this is still being run through. If bass is above about 10%, it sounds like crap. If volume is above 15-20%, the bass has to be turned down to next to nothing (less than 10%).

Any ideas? I'm quick to jump at thinking the sub is blown, but I'm novice at best, so I'm sure there's something I could be missing.

Thank you!
Robert

You are trying to use a tiny woofer designed for small desktop speakers in a modest space in a garage and back yard. It can't keep up with the output of the receiver and speakers. It can't produce enough bass to fill the garage let alone the backyard. You will need a large sub to fill the garage with bass. The backyard, not having any walls, needs even more output than an indoor sub is usually capable of producing. A PA subwoofer or outdoor sub would be needed.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHGUAVY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1QDEzbTQJEJBW?th=1

rtcarey

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018

Thanks for the response. - Ordinarily, and in principle, I agree with you 100% on this comment. But have you ever heard the Klipsch 2.1 system? I've never used this as it was intended (computer speakers, like you said). I had it in my office at one point, then in the basement for a while, then eventually to storage for a bit. During the time I had it in storage, I pulled it out and used it as an outside system for a couple backyard parties, for same day build up, tear down. No one, including myself, could believe the sound of this system, or the fact that it filled my entire yard (not small) with crisp sound and deep bass. My point is, this is far more than the multimedia 2.1 set they're marketed as. In fact, if they made a weather resistant version, I would have done a perm install in my backyard using this system.

The change occurred when I disconnected the satellite speakers, and took the control pod (preamp) off. I moved the sub and preamp to the garage and connected the preamp to my receiver. It has never produced sound like this, inside or outside. I thought it might be some kind of sound manipulation that my receiver was creating, but I bypassed my receiver and connected my phone (like always before), and it was the same result.

I'll get a sub if that's what I need (although the 15" you recommended might be a little overkill), but I want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong first. I was considering purchasing a new driver and seeing what results I get. I do believe this sub will compliment my existing system perfectly, inside or outside the garage, if I can just get the configuration right. The new Yamaha receiver and speaker pairing sound amazing, I just need to fill in with some lows which outdoor speakers often lack.