Problems with dedicated GPU on laptop

Panderam

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
I have a GPU problem on my laptop. I used to be able to play games like Metro on fairly high settings and maintain a stable 30 fps. Now, however, it dips under 10 fps with the same graphical settings. I suspect that something's up with my GPUs.

My integrated GPU is Intel HD 4000, while my dedicated GPU is an AMD Radeon R9 M200X card.

My AMD GPU does not appear in HWMonitor, where Intel HD 4000 is the only GPU being shown (it also shows no changes in temperatures, fans, clock speeds or utilization for that GPU whether I'm running a game or not).

Can also mention that in CPU-Z my AMD card simply comes up as "Graphic Device" with no information whatsoever.

I have updated all drivers. I recently went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, if that is of some significance.

All my settings have been set to use the AMD GPU whenever my charger is plugged in.

My other specs are:

Intel Core i7 2.40 GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM

Any help would be strongly appreciated as I'm at my wits end right now.

Solution
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Do a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to AMD graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver from AMD support site.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download (just do a automatic detect and install)
- Once installed, reboot your laptop.
- After the reboot set your games to run using AMD processor and set the power management of AMD to High Performance as well.
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Do a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to AMD graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver from AMD support site.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download (just do a automatic detect and install)
- Once installed, reboot your laptop.
- After the reboot set your games to run using AMD processor and set the power management of AMD to High Performance as well.

Solution

Panderam

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that.

Panderam

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015

It appears to have worked. Thanks a bunch :)

Rori__

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016
rdg1101 Do you know how to do this part After the reboot set your games to run using AMD processor and set the power management of AMD to High Performance as well. How to set the games to run using AMD game being Diablo 3