Problems with the sound Dell Vostro 3558

LukacsDani

Estimable
Jul 11, 2014
Hello,

I have a Dell Vostro 3558. I bought it about one year ago, and it already had it's HDD replaced...
My current problem is that the device is not playing any sound.

If only the speakers are active, nothing happens. If heaphones are plugged in, there is a constant buzzing and white noise. However if something which has sound is played, in the Playback Devices the sound level is changing, so I suppose the hardware is ok. Plus, the built-in microphone works for sure, I tried it on Team Speak.
First I ran the windows audio troubleshooter, but it didn't find any problems, it just changed the audio drivers on and on....useless.... The Dell pre-boot diagnostics didn't show any problem with the sound card. The Dell Support Assist suggested to check the cable connections. I tried different audio drivers, but neither worked. I even installed Ubuntu 16.04, but it didn't change anything. I am out of ideas, and I didn't find any thread for this problem. Oh, and my current OS is Windows 10 x64 Professional.

I am an engineering student, and I can't be without a laptop for a long time, to send it to Dell Support, please help, because I can't decide if it is a hardware problem, or I should look for some sofware solution....

Thank you for your answers in advance! :)

Solution
If your speakers aren't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

NOTE: It is quiet normal for heaphones plugged into a computer, when not playing any kind of sounds, to have a static like sound on them.

Here are some things to try.

1. Make sure that the wires for your headphones do not come into contact with...
If your speakers aren't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and follow the prompts. (Be sure you also click the "Test" button.)
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

NOTE: It is quiet normal for heaphones plugged into a computer, when not playing any kind of sounds, to have a static like sound on them.

Here are some things to try.

1. Make sure that the wires for your headphones do not come into contact with other wires going in and out of the computer. Anything it touches that can have any kind of electrical current can cause noise in the headphones.

2. Try a different headphone jack, if you have more than one.

3. Try a different set of headphones and see if they have the same sound problem.

4. Plug the headphones into a different device and see if you get the same sound issues. If so, it may be within the speakers themselves.issue.

5. Connect the headphones through a USB connection (this will require an adapter for standard plug heaphones) and see if the problem goes away. If so, it may be the headphone jack on the laptop that is the

6. Upgrade your headphones. All recorded audio has a degree of noise or static; how obvious it is to the listener depends on the quality of the media it’s recorded on, the playback technology and the listening device. Replacing your headphones with a noise-reducing or noise-canceling set could clear up the problem.

7. Worst case, if the problem happens with multiple headphones, you may need to replace the sound card.

Solution

LukacsDani

Estimable
Jul 11, 2014

Thank you for your thorough answer, it was really helpful. I tried point-to-point the suggestions, I got to 5, and I borrowed a n adapter, which worked, so I know I need to change the jack.

Thank you again :)