Problems with US speakers

ltdata_10

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I bought alesis 520 Usb computer speakers in US. http://www.alesis.com/m1active520usb

According to them they should work worldwide. They have a powerswitch on the backside with 115v and 230v.
Here in Norway we use 230 v so I swith on 230v. The power is connected with a adapter, because the wire has a US "shape" of the connector.

Ok here is the deal. Its not working. The speakers wont power up. Why?
The only thing I can think of is that they got damaged during transportation (flying) but they where put into alot of clothes so I cant really understand how that has happened. Any advice?

jnkweaver

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I would first put a multimeter on it after the adaptor to make sure there is power in the adaptor first.

I would also slide the selector switch (115/230) back and forth a few time.

Other than that I don't know what else it can be.

a few thoughts...

perhaps a faulty adapter.

perhaps they arent getting a signal from usb.

though... it should be easy enough to tell if they are powered since you will get static or other noise when fiddling with the speaker input cable... or at least this is the case with normal speakers. i'm not sure about usb ones.

when you plug them into a device such as a computer (i'm assuming thats why you bought a usb set) do they show up in sound devices?

ltdata_10

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

Tried now with different adapters, and tried to swithc between 115/230v many times. The Audio device is shown in my computer so It seems it gets signal from the usb connection. But that blue power light is not going on like it did before. I guess then that the airplane trip destroyed my speakers?:fou:

do the speakers look damaged?

baggage handlers can be pretty rough with bags but i would think they should be fine as i've heard of people flying with pc components before.

when you first plugged it in for the first time did you get a light at all?

my thoughts would be one of the following:

the 230v switch isnt working for some reason. maybe something is faulty and it can be fixed perhaps.

the power supply didnt swap from 115 to 230 and blew something. did you ever smell burning electronics?

honestly the only way to tell would be to use a multimeter and maybe tear apart the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS