Process of elimination means it could be the cpu is starting to fail?

LBCvalenz562

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
A friend needed help with his laptop it was running extremely slow to the point it was unusable and has been sitting in a closet.

I tried to get in and see what was going on but i noticed as soon as i turned it on that it was slow getting into windows and when it did i realized that i had to wait 2-5 minutes for it to process anything just opening the start menu took about 2 minutes, then after it would open what i wanted it just froze and had to be restarted. It ran a little better when i went into safe mode but once i tried to open any files the same issue would happen.

He didn't have any files worth saving so i just did a fresh install of windows 7. Same issues. So i decided to run some tests on the hard drive by connecting it to my pc and it worked perfectly fine even ran tests on it and they came out fine. I even went as far as switching the ram from a working laptop just to make sure it wasn't it. So is it safe to say the cpu is toast?

Solution
What does task manager show for CPU usage? That would've been the first thing I did. Also, when putting the hard drive in your computer, Windows probably resorted to new or basic drivers so perhaps a driver is causing the problems.

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
What does task manager show for CPU usage? That would've been the first thing I did. Also, when putting the hard drive in your computer, Windows probably resorted to new or basic drivers so perhaps a driver is causing the problems.

Solution