Processor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyTransfer

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
A family member is buying a new laptop and wants me to find the best deal he can find, so I have worked everything out and am stuck on the CPU. The laptop will be used for Microsoft office, emailing and web browsing and watching series online, so what is better for that a pentium 2117u or a i3 3227u. I understand the i3 is better but is it really worth the extra price for this use and also this laptop needs to be able to last at least 3 years.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
To be honest if all you are going to be doing with the laptop is Microsoft office, emailing and web browsing and watching series online then any CPU will be absolutely fine.

I would spend the money to ensure you have decent amount of RAM (6GB or better) and a decent screen size 19" or better

EasyTransfer

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
19inch laptop? Going with 4gb 1600mhz ram should be just fine if not there is free slot for another 4gb if necessary. But the CPU is the confusion want more of an in depth reason why the hyperthreading would make the i3 worth the extra £30

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
It depends on how much you think the laptop is going to be carried outside of the house. If you just want a laptop that mainly stays in the house then having a nice size screen is much better and great for watching TV/movies.

I meant 17" not 19" ....typo :p

Modern processors are more than enough for Office work, surfing and watching movies. You don't need hyper-threading unless you plan to run CAD software, Photoshop editing or any other CPU intensive applications.

4GB RAM is fine but 6GB or 8GB is even better. You can have more stuff open and Tab between without the disk having to page lots of memory.

Can you post a link to the laptop you are considering?

EasyTransfer

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Well the laptops are both 15.6" but will be connects to 50" tv when watching movies and series here the link its the £329 and £359 priced ones.

EasyTransfer

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

So is it worth another £30 for the i3 this laptop needs to last like 3 years? Or will the pentium be enough

Status
Not open for further replies.